Who is raising their own Thanksgiving turkey?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
What breed are you raising? What day do you process? How do you cook your bird? What is the weight of your processed bird?

We have a standard bronze this year. I had a bourbon red pair but decided to sell them a couple weeks ago as the tom was bullying my chickens. I'm hoping to process our bird this Saturday. I'm thinking of brining this year, something I've not done before. I think he will be around 20lbs, but I'll update after processing.

Interested and following..
We ended up buying a frozen turkey this year, hopefully our last year. We ended up having 1 tom and 2 hens (bourbon Reds) and I want to use them for breeding next year.. We thought we had 2 toms and 1 hen
big_smile.png

We raised ours. We had broad breasted bronze. I processed one of the hens and she had to be over 20lbs processed. That was about a month ago. I'll have the other done in a few days. She should be just as big or bigger. I feed a mix because I have a lit of stuff together. I would do a bag or Purina game bird chow then a bag of crushed corn then a bag of turkey feed then scratch grains then layer feed then I would start all over again. A bag would last me nearly a week in my feeder. Plays whatever they ate from outside and what scraps I gave them from the table.

We raised 12 turkeys couple years ago, they were about 8 months old, we had turkey for thanksgiving,Xmas,new years and easter. Plus we killed them and everything are self's. And cooking not sure my mom usually does that.

Well, our "standard bronze" that I bought turned out to be a broad-breasted bronze. I didn't realize how big he had gotten! So now I have to fit a 38.8lb turkey in the oven early in the morning on Thursday. Should taste great!

We started with 4 BBBronze turkeys as a first effort and it's been interesting...
One was snatched by a Bald Eagle late in the spring and we ended up with a hen and two Toms. The hen went to a neighbor (I'm guessing 22-24lbs) and the Toms went into the freezer at 31 and 40 lbs. I have no idea what we'll do with so much turkey.
The 40 pounder is currently thawing and will hopefully fit in my smoker. It did NOT fit in a 48qt ice chest.

If it doesn't fit, I'll burn the paint off of a new sawzall blade and cut it in two, roasting half and smoking the other.

It has definitely been a learning year. I'm planning on raising standard birds with a later start next year as we only have 5 family members in state ;)

Wish us luck!

Cheers,
d

I would have started later or slaughtered earlier had I realized this bird was a different breed than what I ordered. I want a good sized bird but this is too big!

Ya I killed 12 turkeys one year and they were 6 months old and were around 12-15lbs. So I think 8 months they would have been a perfect 20lbs.

Back
Top Bottom