Who is the biggest egg layer??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Promiselandfarm, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Wondering which breed of chicken lays the biggest eggs? And who is the most consistant layer of brown eggs? Who is the best setter/brooder hen?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
  3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    sexlinks, delawares, orpingtons, austrolorps come to mind

I think a well roundeed bird with all the qualities would be orpington, but not as frequent an egg layer

sexlinks are laying machines but I dont know if they are good broodies

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yup! That's why I got the Jersey Giants.
    That and the meat they will have once grown. Only problem is they are slow growers but hey, I'm willing to wait!

5. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Braggs Mountain Buffs (from what I was told) lay extra large jumbo eggs. I have one, but yet to see an egg.

6. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Never heard of of Braggs mountain buffs do you have pictures of them?
    We have black sex-links and they do lay a big egg but are not broody at all. If I compare them to our RIRs they lay about the same. Others probably have differening experiences with them those are just mine. Please do keep the information coming![​IMG]

7. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I do not have a pic of her, but need to get one. I originally got what I thought were a couple more buff orps, but then this one really is different. I purchased a few hens from a lady going out of the egg business. She had a few and a roo also, but said she wasn't happy with the breed. She had trouble with the hens laying too large of eggs and getting bound or loosing feathers from the weight of the eggs dragging them down. From what she told me it is a breed being developed somewhere in Ok and is a cross from Buff Orps and something else. I guess time will tell if this one hen has trouble laying also. I would be curious to find out if anyone else on here has experience with them.

edited to add this...
    I just did a search for BMB as they call them. Here is a link to a settlement working on them. You must scroll all the way down to the bottom (and I mean all the way) to see pictures of eggs and a fuzzy pic of the birds. They look a lot like the Buff Orps. The feathering is different up close.
    http://prairiecreeksettlement.com/index2.html

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  8. Pike's Peeps B&B

Pike's Peeps B&B Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I do not know which breed lays the biggest eggs, but i do know RIRs are very consistent brown egg layers. The best broody hen that i know of is the BOs.

Hope this helps!!!

9. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    LoL I thought ostriches layed the biggest eggs. LOL!

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I specifically purchased BO for going broody and black sex-link chickens for their egg-laying abilities. I also have Wyandottes that do a good job of both. As for the BIGGEST eggs? That would be Greyfields!

This is his egg compared to mine!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by