Who is the Mother of these Pullets?

GlicksChicks

Songster
Apr 11, 2024
Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
I have 3 chicks from my first batch of chicks I ever hatched. They are barnyard mixes.

Three of them all have the same general coloration, and they are all pullets as far as I can tell at the moment. They are all 9 weeks old now.
20240506_093107.jpg

20240506_092514.jpg

20240506_092419.jpg

The father is 100% a Buckeye because that was the only rooster breed.
20240425_144929.jpg

The mothers could be Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandotte (That is who I am thinking), or Black Copper Maran. I don't think it is the BCM because they have barely any black on them.
20240130_102956.jpg

20240426_094511.jpg

20240429_160247.jpg

Who could the mother be?

Wyandotte because of the comb
Thank you! That was what I was thinking as well. Before breeding I had read that mixing a SLW and a buckeye would produce a golden colored bird with a columbian pattern. I just wanted to confirm my assumptions of the mother!

It is cool, the SLW + Buckeye mix produces VERY white cockerels and the golden pullets!

agreed. I know from previous hatches I've done that if the mom was a Maran, the chicks would have feathery legs.
And I would think the chicks would be black because the black in the marans is dominant I believe. Most of that batch was black, same with my second one. My maran hens actually do not have very feathered legs. Not all of them do. Only the ones recognized by the APA have feathered legs, but Australia and England recognize the festherless BCM.

One of the cockerels from the batch does have some feathers on his legs but not alot.

Your rooster has a single comb (incorrect for the breed, but hes very handsome anyway and if you'renot breeding to the standard it really doesn't matter), so the only hen who could possibly be the mother is the wyandotte. Any of the other hens with that rooster would produce 100% single combed chicks.

On the bright side, you can guarantee they're pullets based on feather color! A black tailed red (buckeye) over a silver laced hen creates sexlinked chicks. Pullets will be gold based and any cockerels will be silver based (mostly white with some red leakage)

Your rooster has a single comb (incorrect for the breed, but hes very handsome anyway and if you'renot breeding to the standard it really doesn't matter), so the only hen who could possibly be the mother is the wyandotte. Any of the other hens with that rooster would produce 100% single combed chicks.

On the bright side, you can guarantee they're pullets based on feather color! A black tailed red (buckeye) over a silver laced hen creates sexlinked chicks. Pullets will be gold based and any cockerels will be silver based (mostly white with some red leakage)
My rooster doesn't have a single comb. It was just the side view, I will show a better picture. (The second one was when he was younger. That is the only picture I have of him actually looking at the camera.)
20240414_150201.jpg

20240130_103127.jpg

I have noticed that with the wyandotte × buckeye! I will attach a picture of one of his sons!
20240517_154021.jpg

It could very much be the black hen cus I believe the offsprings color would vary if the mum was the wyandotte, what color egg did they hatch from and also watch out for the second bird, it's a potential male

It could very much be the black hen cus I believe the offsprings color would vary if the mum was the wyandotte, what color egg did they hatch from and also watch out for the second bird, it's a potential male
The marans have a single comb which would not equal the type of comb these chicks have.

I will keep an eye on them!

Back
Top Bottom