Who is this little guy?

Y-Knot

Songster
6 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Loma Rica, CA
Although I've had ducks for years I haven't had chickens since I was a teenager and then a chicken was a chicken. I was wondering if anyone might know what breed he is.
I came into ownership of this fellow when he was found being beaten by three roosters. Going by his size, I'm pretty sure he is a bantam. I thought he might be a Silver Phoenix but the comb is wrong. The book and web seems to indicate they would have a single comb and his isn't single. He isn't used to me yet. I am hoping he can be put in with the ducks once he knows this is home and I am no threat. The little house and pen I have him is located inside the duck yard. Some of the ducks have come to visit. I have a friend who insists chickens cannot be with ducks. Hens maybe but I don't see the problem with a little rooster.
I'd like to hear some more expert advice. My friend is a chicken lady but I have not always gone with the first opinion I hear.
Thank you from Yvette and Professors Poppycock
leno.jpg

Possibly a Phoenix cross - he might be fine with the ducks, but monitor closely to make sure they don't abuse him. How about another pen and some pullets for company?
My ducks are pretty laid back except the drakes this time of year and they are only fussy toward each other when they bother a gal they consider their girl. I'll make sure they are okay with each other. For right now I have him in a pen placed in their yard so he'll figure out this is home and to get used to each other.
I'll be getting another pen once I figure out how to put it where I want where the goats won't get the feed. I do want to get some pullets for him. Do you have any suggestions on what type?

My ducks are pretty laid back except the drakes this time of year and they are only fussy toward each other when they bother a gal they consider their girl. I'll make sure they are okay with each other. For right now I have him in a pen placed in their yard so he'll figure out this is home and to get used to each other.
I'll be getting another pen once I figure out how to put it where I want where the goats won't get the feed. I do want to get some pullets for him. Do you have any suggestions on what type?
If you ever come to MT, i have Phoenix and would be willing to part with some eggs (If you meant what type of pullet)

Pellet wise, anything without extra calcium (so like a chick feed or flock raiser ( will be fine

Can you get a pic of him standing? I agree, the tail looks like a Phoenix tail. Wrong comb though. If it's a pea comb, I would wonder a PhoenixxYokohama cross
I'll see if I can get a standing photo and post it in this thread. Do you know if he is a bantam or just small?

If you ever come to MT, i have Phoenix and would be willing to part with some eggs (If you meant what type of pullet)

Pellet wise, anything without extra calcium (so like a chick feed or flock raiser ( will be fine
Too bad we don't live closer. I live in the rural area of northern CA. The only feed I have right now is layer feed so I'll find him something that he needs. The gal who gave him to me was feeding him something that looks like scratch which I don't think is a real food.
Are the Silver Phoenix a bantam or is he just small?

Too bad we don't live closer. I live in the rural area of northern CA. The only feed I have right now is layer feed so I'll find him something that he needs. The gal who gave him to me was feeding him something that looks like scratch which I don't think is a real food.
Are the Silver Phoenix a bantam or is he just small?
Phoenix can be bantams

Back
Top Bottom