Who is with me?

Well, I must be hatching, have infant chicks and expecting newborn poults delivered today because FIRST thing this morning the power went out.

I went into total half panic/half handle it mode. Put towels on the eggs opened the bators. Put extra draft proofing on the brooder outdoors on the patio and prayed the sheer mass of 3 week olds and one week olds would keep them warm and RAN for Walmart for a largeeeee clear plastic bin. I'd have to put all of the 3wks, 1 week and yesterday into it and try to keep it at temp.

Fortunately I'd already come up with a way to heat it. I'd used it before in a pinch for a rescue squirrel at the time. Take iron skillet and fill with sand. Start a fire or start the BBQ. Heat the skillet and sand, remove, cool slightly, wrap in towels. Stuff towel wrapped skillet into a large draft free container. Bingo, warm.

It's no fun to maintain but can be done. Sand keeps the skillet heat retention pretty high.

I would have used a good rock or bricks but it's been pouring for most of a month and everything is soaked and if you put water containing rock or brick on a heat source it can and will explode. Sand won't explode. Handy that way.

My usual brooders won't work for that, too open, so had to go get the bin.

Despite the panic, the power finally came back on and behind me I hear the first peepings from the fridgebator. It's up at 93 and rising. The Uglybator is actually back up to temp already with the six day old eggs in it.

I wasn't too worried about the six day old eggs. Worse come to worse I'd have yanked the chicken eggs from one of the broodies and stuffed my precious last few turkey eggs under there. The chickens would have replaced a lot more easily than the poults in those last six eggs.

It couldn't possibly be a hatching day around here without some disaster. Just glad the worst is over...

Glad your power came back on and glad you averted disaster!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Well that is more than I can see, my air sacs may as well take up the whole egg. I just hope the chick can make it out. I plan on trying to help them on the 15th one way or another. Meaning, opening the shell a little and keeping them moist. Now if they pip on their own, I will be jumping for joy.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
Well I am going to move my broodies, so they can sit and hatch their eggs. Every time the are sitting and one hatches, it disappears. I had them hatch out 6 and each one disappeared. I am trying to let her get the mommy out of her system, but someone is eating the babies, which is all I could figure is happening.

Quote:
I used it for 2 days and that is it, sorry I cannot help you but someone here may know. Have patience and they will get to you.

Good luck and believe me when I say you will not be new to it for long. It will soon be attached to your hip and you will have 2 or 3 incubators and be learning how to make one that holds 100s of eggs at a time instead of 50.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

ya.gif
Good News!!!!!

When I was hand turning some eggs in the bator (I have some lined up against the side - too many to fit in turner) I went ahead and candled the ones to go into the hatcher tomorrow...

Out of 12, 10 are good to go!!!!! I have no idea what they will be though. I had them sorted and stored in the basement, then they got all mixed up.
barnie.gif

So.... Hopefully most of the 10 will hatch.....
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom