Who keeps their ducks inside at night??

CaseyDenise

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 3, 2012
This is my first post. I use this site a lot for information and had to join.

We got our two ducks around Easter and they are great. My daughters named them Pete and Lemon and they both turned out to be girls. Lemon is a Kaki Cambell and Pete is Cayuga. They are great with my family and life in a pond behind me house. We bring them in every night (unless they don't get out of the pond)..

We've been keeping them in a plastic container with Hay, water, and food. They make a good mess of the box now that they are getting bigger. I read a few posts about people keeping them inside. What do you keep them in and if you any pictures that would be great.

More resent pictures of Lemon and Pete

I did keep my duckling inside until he was 3 months old but it wasn't something i wanted to do, his mother didn't want him. He had a diaper and slept in an Xlarge dog crate. Went outside during the day with the rest of the flock. But since he turned out to be a drake and is now big[Muscovy] he is much happier outside. If you ever decide to let your girls stay outside full time I would suggest a predator proof house for them because it's only a matter of time till something happens and you lose one or both. I don't mean to scare you but a duck left outside even on a pond is a very easy target for a pred. from the air ,ground or under water. They are so cute your daughter too. and
welcome-byc.gif

Hi--

The pictures are great! Thanks for sharing them.

Please never leave them outside once it starts to get dark outside. Miss Lydia is correct when she states that it is only a matter of time before they get killed. I recently had a duck killed outside. She was only 15 feet from my front door during daylight. I still miss her everyday and still feel extremely guilty for not being able to save her.

I have 15 ducks and 2 geese. My geese live inside the house (they are outside in a fenced-in area during the day when we're home). Right now, 5 ducks are staying inside the house, too. I usually only have 1-2 ducks inside the house at a time, but I'm treating some ducks for bumblefoot.

My ducks and geese sleep in baby cribs by our bed, and 2 ducks sleep in our guest bathroom. They do not get food or water in the cribs. During the day, they are free to roam about the house. They also wear diapers.

A large dog kennel sounds like a safe place for them to sleep. Playpens also work well. Blankets and towels can be used for bedding. Just shake them out in the morning (if they aren't wearing diapers all night--I don't think wearing them the entire night would be a good idea) and wash them in the washing machine.

You can handle 2 house ducks pretty easily. I hope the best for you!

Sebastian (Sebastopol goose) and Gizmo (Cayuga x Khaki Campbell-Cayuga duck) model their crib for you.

Hi--

The pictures are great! Thanks for sharing them.

Please never leave them outside once it starts to get dark outside. Miss Lydia is correct when she states that it is only a matter of time before they get killed. I recently had a duck killed outside. She was only 15 feet from my front door during daylight. I still miss her everyday and still feel extremely guilty for not being able to save her.

I have 15 ducks and 2 geese. My geese live inside the house (they are outside in a fenced-in area during the day when we're home). Right now, 5 ducks are staying inside the house, too. I usually only have 1-2 ducks inside the house at a time, but I'm treating some ducks for bumblefoot.

My ducks and geese sleep in baby cribs by our bed, and 2 ducks sleep in our guest bathroom. They do not get food or water in the cribs. During the day, they are free to roam about the house. They also wear diapers.

A large dog kennel sounds like a safe place for them to sleep. Playpens also work well. Blankets and towels can be used for bedding. Just shake them out in the morning (if they aren't wearing diapers all night--I don't think wearing them the entire night would be a good idea) and wash them in the washing machine.

You can handle 2 house ducks pretty easily. I hope the best for you!

Sebastian (Sebastopol goose) and Gizmo (Cayuga x Khaki Campbell-Cayuga duck) model their crib for you.

So sorry to hear about your duck.
hugs.gif

So sorry to hear about your duck.
hugs.gif
Thank you. Vinny was so special to us. She always slept in the house with us. Vinny would come when called, loved to cuddle, and loved being the center of attention. I still cry about losing her. She was one in a million.

All ducks deserve predator-proof housing...especially for nighttime!

Thank you. Vinny was so special to us. She always slept in the house with us. Vinny would come when called, loved to cuddle, and loved being the center of attention. I still cry about losing her. She was one in a million.

All ducks deserve predator-proof housing...especially for nighttime!

I know we're hijacking this thread but what happened this may help someone else who thinks their ducks are safe. She sure was a cutie.

I know we're hijacking this thread but what happened this may help someone else who thinks their ducks are safe. She sure was a cutie.
We originally got geese to help protect our chickens and ducks.

Here's what happened to Vinny:

My husband opened the door to let our geese outside while were getting ready to go to a child's birthday party. Vinny ran out the door to her kiddie pool to snack on some minnows. (She loved her pool and loved minnows!) (We had just talked about not letting the ducks outside while we weren't out there with them due to hawks and eagles killing ducks belonging to friends of ours.) He didn't think too much of it since she would be outside for only a few minutes.

From the bedroom window, he saw a coyote walking away with Vinny in its mouth. He ran out the door and chased it. The coyote dropped Vinny and took off.

Vinny didn't have any blood showing, but she was breathing fairly heavily. Even though I thought she was going to be okay, we decided right away to take her to the University of Minnesota School of Veterinary (emergency center). Less than 10 minutes later in the car, she died in my arms.

As I mentioned, this happened about 15 feet from our front door during daylight. We no longer let the geese or ducks free-range. The geese are only allowed to "free-range" in a fenced-in area when we are home and while it's light outside.

Back
Top Bottom