who laid this beautiful egg? WINNER ANNOUNCED! discussion in progress

Quote:
it is Naive Alaskan subsitance. i myself am a Native Alaskan. this is what my ancestors are ti survive! we have very strict rules on it, too. for example if there are only one or two eggs, we cannot take any. if there are three we can take one, and any more than four we can only take two. generally there are 4-5 eggs in a nest. we are also only allowed to harvest them during certain times of the year.

it sounds cruel and odd, but to me as a cultural person it is the way of my people. i am as respectful as i can be about it too, i often leave them a good amount of fish eggs near the nest when i take an egg. they do eat it, and i always make sure i never ever take all of the eggs. THAT is just cruel, and it is damaging to the species. plus, only registered tribal members are allowed to take the eggs. we pick up a paper at the local Fish & Game and write down the amount of eggs in each nest and how many we took, what day it was and so fourth. we return the papers after we are finished gathering. so, there are some pretty good rules put on us to ensure the survival of the species. we aren't allowed t visit the same area more than twice in one week iether.

i personally am very glad there are rules and regulations on subsitance food. out here in Alaska there are quite often food shortages and high prices due to the supply barges being late and such. a lot of the local Natives are very poor as well and can't afford to buy food, so they have to subsist. salmon, moose, caribou, grouse and eggs are what they usually eat, and it is a healthy traditional food, too.

i am no disagreeing with you, just giving information so that people don't think i go crazy stealing eggs from nests. i was raised eating these kinds of things. i grew up in a very small village of less than 100 people and no local market or store. to get to Illiamna Trading we had to jump in the boat and go 40 miles across the lake. it was pretty tough, so the majority of what we ate was what we could find.

it's not poverty, we feel like the richest people in the world! i am very thankful to live in a land that is so bountiful with plenty of wildlife and potential meals. it is not surviving, it is a way of life! and that is the way that we like it
smile.png
i would much rather go hunt a moose and share it with the village than go to the supermarket and simply buy my meat. Keeping Chickens is a pretty good way to be sure we always have food, too! a lot of Natives like to keep them around. and i mean A LOT! most of my family keeps them so that when the caribou herd decides to take another rout, we at least have some fresh eggs!

thank you for asking the question
smile.png
i like educating people on the Alaskan Native subsistence lifestyle.

awesome! neat lifestyle. when i saw the pic of the egg, and when you said you EAT them i was kinda wondering if that was legal...lol...it all makes sense now!
gig.gif

i love finding nests and eggs when i'm out and about. keep the pics coming and keep us guessing! i like this game!
tongue.png

Quote:
it is Naive Alaskan subsitance. i myself am a Native Alaskan. this is what my ancestors are ti survive! we have very strict rules on it, too. for example if there are only one or two eggs, we cannot take any. if there are three we can take one, and any more than four we can only take two. generally there are 4-5 eggs in a nest. we are also only allowed to harvest them during certain times of the year.

it sounds cruel and odd, but to me as a cultural person it is the way of my people. i am as respectful as i can be about it too, i often leave them a good amount of fish eggs near the nest when i take an egg. they do eat it, and i always make sure i never ever take all of the eggs. THAT is just cruel, and it is damaging to the species. plus, only registered tribal members are allowed to take the eggs. we pick up a paper at the local Fish & Game and write down the amount of eggs in each nest and how many we took, what day it was and so fourth. we return the papers after we are finished gathering. so, there are some pretty good rules put on us to ensure the survival of the species. we aren't allowed t visit the same area more than twice in one week iether.

i personally am very glad there are rules and regulations on subsitance food. out here in Alaska there are quite often food shortages and high prices due to the supply barges being late and such. a lot of the local Natives are very poor as well and can't afford to buy food, so they have to subsist. salmon, moose, caribou, grouse and eggs are what they usually eat, and it is a healthy traditional food, too.

i am no disagreeing with you, just giving information so that people don't think i go crazy stealing eggs from nests. i was raised eating these kinds of things. i grew up in a very small village of less than 100 people and no local market or store. to get to Illiamna Trading we had to jump in the boat and go 40 miles across the lake. it was pretty tough, so the majority of what we ate was what we could find.

it's not poverty, we feel like the richest people in the world! i am very thankful to live in a land that is so bountiful with plenty of wildlife and potential meals. it is not surviving, it is a way of life! and that is the way that we like it
smile.png
i would much rather go hunt a moose and share it with the village than go to the supermarket and simply buy my meat. Keeping Chickens is a pretty good way to be sure we always have food, too! a lot of Natives like to keep them around. and i mean A LOT! most of my family keeps them so that when the caribou herd decides to take another rout, we at least have some fresh eggs!

thank you for asking the question
smile.png
i like educating people on the Alaskan Native subsistence lifestyle.

awesome! neat lifestyle. when i saw the pic of the egg, and when you said you EAT them i was kinda wondering if that was legal...lol...it all makes sense now!
gig.gif

i love finding nests and eggs when i'm out and about. keep the pics coming and keep us guessing! i like this game!
tongue.png

so far from what i've heard in town nobody else has been finding eggs. we were the first this year! it will be a couple more weeks before we get anymore seabird eggs. more migrants are going to be coming in the next few weeks or even longer. but i will certainly be doing this again!

Back
Top Bottom