Who Laid This egg? Wild Pheasant or Chicken?

Isabella6Storm4

Free Ranging
Oct 4, 2022
Ardonia
I found this tinny green egg with tinny brown flecks in a nesting box in the coop this evening. can a chicken lay an egg this small? They are all at least over a year old. I mean, there is a what looks like a Melanistic Mutant Pheasant hanging out in the back yard. Could it have done it? Would a wild pheasant lay in the coop?
which leads to the next question. Is that a breed of pheasant that is wild or is it an escaped bird? It seems to like hanging out with the chickens. :confused:
IMG_6472.jpg
IMG_6471.jpg

Hens will sometimes lay what's called a fairy egg. It usually doesn't contain a whole yolk, only a piece and the body will process it like a full yolk. Pheasants are very flighty birds. I would be very surprised if one went inside a building without being carried in.

I found this tinny green egg with tinny brown flecks in a nesting box in the coop this evening. can a chicken lay an egg this small? They are all at least over a year old. I mean, there is a what looks like a Melanistic Mutant Pheasant hanging out in the back yard. Could it have done it? Would a wild pheasant lay in the coop?
which leads to the next question. Is that a breed of pheasant that is wild or is it an escaped bird? It seems to like hanging out with the chickens. :confused:
View attachment 3454446View attachment 3454447
A chicken can lay an egg that small. They're called fairy eggs. You usually only get them when your birds are just starting laying

I don’t know much about pheasants, but I did some research and they do seem to lay small green eggs. One of my own hens does rarely lay a very small egg with no yoke inside, only egg white.

Do you have any Easter or Olive Egger chickens? They can lay green eggs.

I don’t know much about pheasants, but I did some research and they do seem to lay small green eggs. One of my own hens does rarely lay a very small egg with no yoke inside, only egg white.

Do you have any Easter or Olive Egger chickens? They can lay green eggs.
no, my last green egg layer died a little while ago.

Back
Top Bottom