Who laid what?

christans

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2021
Truro, Nova Scotia Canada
Hello, I just joined this forum as a very new chicken mama! I have five Rhode Island Red chickens (was 6 but a hawk got one of them).
One of our girls was bitten in the leg by a rat earlier this week so she is in our house recovering and is currently taking antibiotics. She is getting around much better and seems to want to go back outside to the coop with the other chickens. The vet told us to not eat her eggs while she's on antibiotics but how do I tell which egg she has laid when she's back with her sisters? Also, should I worry about the climatizing her? She's been in a warm house since Monday so I'm concerned that she'll freeze back out in the coop.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Christa

ChloeSilkie08

Crowing
Sep 10, 2020
Arkansas
Hello, I just joined this forum as a very new chicken mama! I have five Rhode Island Red chickens (was 6 but a hawk got one of them).
One of our girls was bitten in the leg by a rat earlier this week so she is in our house recovering and is currently taking antibiotics. She is getting around much better and seems to want to go back outside to the coop with the other chickens. The vet told us to not eat her eggs while she's on antibiotics but how do I tell which egg she has laid when she's back with her sisters? Also, should I worry about the climatizing her? She's been in a warm house since Monday so I'm concerned that she'll freeze back out in the coop.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Christa
Unless you catch her laying, I wouldn't eat any of the other eggs.

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Isolate her within the coop so she can see and chat with the other girls, but can't lay in the same nest boxes as they do. It'll also let her reintegrate with the others, since she's been gone a few days, in case they no longer recognize her as part of the pecking order.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Also, should I worry about the climatizing her? She's been in a warm house since Monday so I'm concerned that she'll freeze back out in the coop.
How cold(and warm) is it?
Might put her somewhere cooler for a few days then do what @rosemarythyme suggested.
How long do you have to wait for the antibiotic to clear?

Wondering if you got the rat issue resolved.

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @christans
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1610800162389.png

christans

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2021
Truro, Nova Scotia Canada
Yesterday, while out free ranging with the other chickens, Sally went into the coop and up onto the roosting bar and didn’t come back out to come in the house. Today she was running around the yard as if nothing had happened to her so safe to say, everyone is happy!
We’ve trapped three rats so far and have removed all food and water from the coop through the night which is when our trail cam picked up the rats coming in.

Top Bottom