Who lives on a busy street?

s6bee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Western, NY
I am interested in looking at a old house that is for sale out in the country but on a road with a 55 mph speed limit. It's not far off the road either. It's really quite cheap leaving tons off financial room to remodel and even build a small barn + 6.5 acres, ( I have horses the I currently board ) The road is my issue. It's not heavy traffic, just fast traffic. Any suggestion, yes, no?

Last edited:
Well, it's light traffic now, what will it be like down the road? I live next to a major highway... drive way right onto it. Dad tells me back in the day it was two lanes and grass, now it is 5 lanes, 50mph, but usually crawling at stop and go during rush hour.

Oh... and is the road straight? Maybe camp out on a friday or saturday night and see if you got kids speeding down it or trying to race on it.

* A VERY tall & thick hedge in front, for sound barrier, and a good fence backing it up at the road. That takes care of part of it. Then, a campaign to get the speed limit dropped, at least, for the residential area-- with very large signs to announce the drop and for how many feet/ miles it lasts. VERY BIG & WIDE speed bumps are starting to be used here to curb excess speed. They will crack your oil pan if you take them too fast.

Last edited:
My farm is off a two-lane highway w/a speed limit of 55mph. A railroad track is between my yard & the highway. I am not sure of the distance but its not too far. We planted some evergreens to block the view and provide some privacy. We are so used to the train, we hardly even notice.

One good thing is during bad weather, we dont have problems getting to the main road. The highway is kept clear.

we have 4.5 acres but our street is very busy and fast its the ONLY downfall but we will be moving when we find somewhere quieter the constant traffic is annoying. ALMOST as bad as a barking dog.

I personally love the location of my house, right off of a busy street. It's only 45mph but most people are doing 55+ because the limit changes less than a mile before my house.

The noise can be bothersome occaisionally but the location grants us a huge amount of convenience and the noise will be deadened a lot when we build a brick wall in front which we have planned.

I sold a beautiful farm house, summer kitchen and a lovely yard. The house was on a road that the speed was 55 mph. We have a car driven my teenagers wreck into our garage. Oh and the noise couldn't open the window in the summer for motorcycles. We put up a 6 ft fence but never used the front yard at all. We often talked about picking up the house and moving it somewhere. In the end the beautiful house lost out to a bad location. I alway vowed after that to pick a house by its location, not its beauty

I currently live near a highway, speed limit is 65 mph. I hardly notice the noise. I have lots of trees near the front of my property (which borders the road). Occassionally we'll get a big truck with a loose tarp making a racket, but it passes.

I did live near a highway that was 55 mph, then changed to 70 mph when I was younger. The noise was not a big deal because you get used to it. My only problem with it was the property was more open and we tended to loose the occassional dog or cat (mostly it was dogs).

Dust & dirt. Constant traffic creates more dust & dirt on your house, as well as IN your house. In winter, SALT from weather trucks can drift onto anything on the porch. I'd also check what TYPE of traffic frequents that route (tractor trailers or general commuting traffic).

If you plan to sell eggs or other farm produce, you'll only have to hang a sign!

If you board horses, plan on secure fencing to prevent any accident where they could get to highway for their safety, as well as, motorists.

Quote:
I know what you mean...Before we moved to MT, Dh spent alot of time searching old farm homes around the Ithaca area because it was so beautiful up there but the BIGGEST problem we had was these houses were right in front of the road! Mostly ones with high speed limits. All the acreage sat behind the house. We decided against it because of our two young boys. Whereabouts is this old house?

Back
Top Bottom