Who made the law to require vet prescriptions for anti biotics 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about Tractor Supply Company? As of June 11th, TSC will be requiring a vet prescription for all animal antibiotics. This, I see, is very upsetting because many/most farmers know what their livestock need, and some can't afford a vet, with many not needing one because they know what's wrong and what their livestock needs. As far as who's making it law, I don't know.

Is this a national law ? Was it done by executive order? Did the congress vote this into law who is responsible? Can I write my congressman about it? Might it make any difference?
You are WAY late to this party.

Its not a Law, its not done by Executive Order. The FDA is doing it "for our own good", encouraging manufacturers to "voluntarily" take Rx off of animal shelves. Its issued through the FDA's rulemaking authority and is part of their 5 year plan. The notice and comment period is long past, the final rule issued. This started long ago. The manufacturers are complying rather than risking the FDA's ire.

FDA "Guidance"

and Final List

Will it drive more small producers from the market, and cause more "mom & pop"/backyard owners to lose livestock?? ABSOLUTELY. Its an intended and foreseeable consequence of their rules making.

Surely you are aware the FDA just LOVES Pets (every year). Even Turtles.

and @Lacy Duckwing even if they could afford a Vet, there may not be one available. I live in a distinctly rural area, yet there is no vet in my county, and no animal vet in the surrounding counties. There were two - one died, the other retired. Even if I could get an animal vet to make the now required once yearly inspection of my facilities and livestock plans for each of my livestock types (chickens, ducks, rabbits, goats) now required - meaning a drvie of two counties, or about an hour+ each way - and even if she or he would provide an Rx with a phone call or an email, I can't actually GET those medications in a reasonable timeframe - its not cost effective for anyone to stock them without constant demand.

Last edited:
you're all very late to the party, and the US did not lead the way on this.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4378521/

C. Lee Ventola, The Antibiotic Resistance Crisis​

P T. 2015 Apr; 40(4): 277–283.

"The rapid emergence of resistant bacteria is occurring worldwide, endangering the efficacy of antibiotics, which have transformed medicine and saved millions of lives.16 Many decades after the first patients were treated with antibiotics, bacterial infections have again become a threat.7 The antibiotic resistance crisis has been attributed to the overuse and misuse of these medications, as well as a lack of new drug development by the pharmaceutical industry due to reduced economic incentives and challenging regulatory requirements"

Last edited:
I live in Central AR...Whenever I first heard of this I rushed to TSC...no antiobiotics whatsoever...next day went to my local feed store bought a vial of TYLAN...got brave enough to administer and relieved it was expired.no go..I got nervous....then i realized our cattle farmers across the country are unable to take their stock to the vet just for antibiotics...I believe our
"cowboys" and ranchers will make sure antibiotics are available..after a few months local feed store has multiple options

Is this a national law ? Was it done by executive order? Did the congress vote this into law who is responsible? Can I write my congressman about it? Might it make any difference?

you're all very late to the party, and the US did not lead the way on this.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4378521/

C. Lee Ventola, The Antibiotic Resistance Crisis​

P T. 2015 Apr; 40(4): 277–283.
Oh, the party started in 2015?

Not really worried about some clown with a fancy title predicting thrild world crisis. Moreover, you can buy amoxycilin over the counter in Mexico.
In short, it's just a bunch of #@%$ to spread fear and warp public opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom