Who made the law to require vet prescriptions for anti biotics 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a national law ? Was it done by executive order? Did the congress vote this into law who is responsible? Can I write my congressman about it? Might it make any difference?
You are WAY late to this party.

Its not a Law, its not done by Executive Order. The FDA is doing it "for our own good", encouraging manufacturers to "voluntarily" take Rx off of animal shelves. Its issued through the FDA's rulemaking authority and is part of their 5 year plan. The notice and comment period is long past, the final rule issued. This started long ago. The manufacturers are complying rather than risking the FDA's ire.

FDA "Guidance"

and Final List

Will it drive more small producers from the market, and cause more "mom & pop"/backyard owners to lose livestock?? ABSOLUTELY. Its an intended and foreseeable consequence of their rules making.

Surely you are aware the FDA just LOVES Pets (every year). Even Turtles.

and @Lacy Duckwing even if they could afford a Vet, there may not be one available. I live in a distinctly rural area, yet there is no vet in my county, and no animal vet in the surrounding counties. There were two - one died, the other retired. Even if I could get an animal vet to make the now required once yearly inspection of my facilities and livestock plans for each of my livestock types (chickens, ducks, rabbits, goats) now required - meaning a drvie of two counties, or about an hour+ each way - and even if she or he would provide an Rx with a phone call or an email, I can't actually GET those medications in a reasonable timeframe - its not cost effective for anyone to stock them without constant demand.

Last edited:
you're all very late to the party, and the US did not lead the way on this.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4378521/

C. Lee Ventola, The Antibiotic Resistance Crisis​

P T. 2015 Apr; 40(4): 277–283.

"The rapid emergence of resistant bacteria is occurring worldwide, endangering the efficacy of antibiotics, which have transformed medicine and saved millions of lives.1–6 Many decades after the first patients were treated with antibiotics, bacterial infections have again become a threat.7 The antibiotic resistance crisis has been attributed to the overuse and misuse of these medications, as well as a lack of new drug development by the pharmaceutical industry due to reduced economic incentives and challenging regulatory requirements"

Last edited:
Similar figures elsewhere.

1686591550694.png

1686591591785.png

If one is talking merely about the number of Morover Vehicle deaths, yes, we are again on an uptrend and nearing historic highs. If, otoh, you want to talk about deaths per vehicle mile driven, the number is near historic lows, while deaths per driver population continue to fall.

Your claim is only true from a certain point of view, one devoid of important context (in my belief).

I'll play.

Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) - they are using Methicillin (or were) because this variety of Staph was already resistant to the more common 'cillins, like Peni..

TB has a number of resistant strains. (Tuberculosis, for you youngsters who never had annual TB screenings at school)

Salmonella has a number of resistant strains to the more common antibiotics. So does Gonorrhea (sp? it never looks right in print). Likewise numerous bacteria responsible for Pnuemonia (which honestly is a symptom, not a diagnosis of underlying cause). A number of enterobacteria.

But don't take my word for it - I may be better educated than you, but I'm not a Dr.

Lets try these guys

These guys

How about these guys?

Here's a nice overview (history lesson too!)

more?

That you are ignorant of a thing is not indicative of its non-existence, merely a lack of study into the appropriate field of knowledge.

I skipped lunch, btw - was busy feeding my animals, ran out of time. But kind of you to ask.

I am in agreement with reducing antibiotic use in animals so that we can keep more people from getting antibiotic resistant infections. People before animals.

Maybe some in this thread don’t realize that the livestock farms have historically given antibiotics all the time, and not just in response to illness. Chickens are now labeled antibiotic free because they used to be fed antibiotics so they would grow faster. Do you think they stopped because the industry worried about antibiotic resistance or because they were required to??

While it’s inconvenient for us not to have EASY access to antibiotics, antibiotic resistance is a serious health problem and this will close that loophole for the bad actors in this sector.

As a separate comment, we need to improve rural access to veterinarians and maybe this will help spur that on. If we all had access to affordable veterinarians and medical testing maybe we would be able to use the correct antibiotic on an infection and not just throw Tylan at everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom