Off-Balance Chicken

Anon112

Songster
6 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Hi all, could really use some advice.

So back during the pandemic I made a choice I might not have normally made: a farm I trust was clearing inventory and was selling Delaware pullets with crooked toes at a big discount. I got 4.

Honestly, they've done really well for the last two years. In the last day or two, I noticed that one of them seemed to be a bit off balance. Then when I came out early in the morning, she was sleeping on the ground and not on the roost.

She's always been at the bottom of the pecking order and is smaller than the other birds. At times I've worried about her getting enough food. (I put food out in multiple locations, but some of the birds will chase her away even if she's not near "their" food).

This morning I took her out and put her in my "quarantine coop" with some food and water. She is eating and drinking, and was very pleased with some grass tops that were protruding into the coop. When I brought the chickens some scraps for treats yesterday (yellow pepper tops and insides), she was very excited, darting over and eating some. Her energy level seems good. She seems "with it" and not lethargic or stressed. Over the last few years I've started to have a better eye for when a chicken who feels sick is "faking it" (ie pretending to eat, waiting until I'm not looking to go hide while the others free range, etc). She seems energetic, including on Monday when I gave them some free range time and she was out eating grass tips and doing her best (albeit unbalanced) moonwalk in the dirt to find bugs.

But her balance! She seems very wobbly and is obviously currently unable to balance on the roost. When I picked her up to move her, I noticed that she is a bit thinner than I'd like. I inspected her and she has some broken (pecked?) feathers on her lower back. It looks like she's in the late stages of a low-key molt (it's been molting madness with my flock). I did see some lice on her, but not a ton of them and none of those nit/egg clusters on the feather shafts. Is there a chance that when the rooster went to mount her that he injured her leg? I haven't seen any limping/hobbling, per se. She is walking a bit low, but that seems more balance related than a pain response (as far as I can tell).

I started researching lice treatments. I got a bit spooked by a note that some of the treatments can be super fatal to cats, as I have one barn cat who spends a lot of time around the chicken coop. I put some diatomaceous earth on her, as I happened to have some and it was recommended on one site. Maybe that was stupid, but with work I've had so little time to help her, and especially during daylight hours.

Realistically, I might be able to get her into the vet on Saturday. Any thoughts about how I can help/support her between now and then? I know that in the past I've given into the "kitchen sink" tendency to just throw a ton of stuff at a sick animal (apple cider vinegar! vitamins! treats!). But if there are one or two things I could do for her, I'd like to support her until I can see the vet. The "quarantine coop" is a raised coop with nesting boxes and a roosting bar. She is sleeping in one of the nesting boxes so she is sheltered (and the temperature here is nice). Supplies I have at home include a vitamin drench, some electrolytes and probiotics, a premium canned bird food a vet gave me a while back, and most first-aid basics. I have my usual layer feed, a whole grain feed (that I purchased to tide us over in the few days before the regular stuff came in the mail), and some scratch. Treat-wise I have apples, bananas, and of course eggs.

Any advice welcome, and thank you in advance!

What's her diet?
D.e won't do anything for mites, you need to get sevin dust or permethrine (which is actually not as toxic to cats as believed in appropriate use).

What's her diet?
D.e won't do anything for mites, you need to get sevin dust or permethrine (which is actually not as toxic to cats as believed in appropriate use).
They eat Kalmbach crumbles (this one, I think: https://shop.kalmbachfeeds.com/products/16-all-natural-layer-crumble). A few times a week I bring them a treat like apple pieces, cabbage leaves, etc. I try to get them out for free range time a few days a week (LOTS of predators where I live, basically in the woods, so they can only be out when I'm directly supervising them which is hard working two jobs). They have little containers of oyster shell and grit.

I'll see about picking up some Sevin, which is what we used years ago to treat lice on our horse. On thinking about it, I have a barn space where the cats can't go with a large kennel, so I could treat her in there and there wouldn't be as much of a chance that cats would get anywhere near it.

Thank you for the reply!

They eat Kalmbach crumbles (this one, I think: https://shop.kalmbachfeeds.com/products/16-all-natural-layer-crumble). A few times a week I bring them a treat like apple pieces, cabbage leaves, etc. I try to get them out for free range time a few days a week (LOTS of predators where I live, basically in the woods, so they can only be out when I'm directly supervising them which is hard working two jobs). They have little containers of oyster shell and grit.

I'll see about picking up some Sevin, which is what we used years ago to treat lice on our horse. On thinking about it, I have a barn space where the cats can't go with a large kennel, so I could treat her in there and there wouldn't be as much of a chance that cats would get anywhere near it.

Thank you for the reply!
Happy to help.
You need to treat the whole coop if you suspect lice or mites, clean it out completely, treat it and get entirely new litter and nesting material.
Cut out the treats for a bit and give her 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, you can get them at the grocery store.

If you are concerned about the permethrin around the cat you can use Elector PSP for the mites (spinosad). It's more expensive than permethrin, but doesn't carry the same risks for cats. It's also supposed to work with fewer treatments. You still have to clean out and treat the coop as well. You do need to treat the mites, they can weaken a bird a lot, and be fatal in extreme cases. The vitamins are also a very good idea, and I would definitely do those as well.

In addition to the above mentioned treatment, feed her some animal protein like scrambled or boiled eggs, curd cheese or similar to restore energy.

As you mentioned crooked toes, she might be in need of a pedicure as her nails will not wear down naturally.

When did you last deworm her?

Thank you all so much for the advice and encouragement!

She was still in bed when I left this morning (it's been hard because I leave before the sun is up and come home at sunset, so I don't get to observe her through the day). She was up in the nesting box when I got home, but when I called her she came down the little ramp. I made up a scrambled egg and mixed in the crushed 1/3 of a vitamin B tablet. She gobbled it up in less than a minute and then went around hunting for any little pieces that went flying. I can't say her balance looks better, but it's definitely not worse and she still has her "spark".

I placed an order for Elector PSP for chickens. Nowhere near me carries it (surprised Tractor Supply doesn't). I put a rush on it, so it's supposed to be here in one business day. I plan to do a deep clean of the coop on Saturday afternoon.

Again, thank you for all the advice. I will update as things develop.

A little update:
Her balance is definitely better. She is still a bit wobbly when she has to twist (like to groom) but she is standing up straighter and in the little quarantine coop there is an outside roost and she was up on it this afternoon.

The Elector hadn't arrived this afternoon (ordered it Thursday night), so I scrubbed down the coop with vinegar and hot water. Then the Elector arrived, so the plan is to spray the chickens and the coop tonight when it gets dark. I appreciate that the Chicken Chick people who sent the Elector included very clear instructions on use.

Anyone have opinions on how long I should wait between this treatment for mites/lice and doing a deworming? I don't want to stress their bodies too much, but I did realize from a post above that they are very overdue for a deworming.

I just wanted to give an update in case anyone else experiences something like this.

First, the chicken is doing very well. While she seemed to be improving after the Elector treatment, I always second guess myself. I was able to get an appointment at a vet, and my parents generously took her to the visit for me. The vet looked her over and said that it was probably weakness due to the mites. The vet tested a poop sample, which came back clean, so the directions were to continue to monitor her.

She's been living in my "sick coop" (a coop-run combo where I keep chickens when they aren't feeling their best) along with a buddy. Her balance is back, she's eating and drinking well, and seems to be in good spirits. I've inspected her and the other chickens a few times, and the Elector seems to have taken care of the mites. I've realized I need to do a better job of monitoring them for mites. I've started working a second job, so I leave in the dark and get home in the dark, which makes it a little harder to keep an eye out for issues.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and kindness, as always.

Back
Top Bottom