Hen losing balance but eating normally

j_mair

Chirping
Feb 1, 2021
Hello I have a 3 year old Easter egger that has been stumbling and seems to not have all of her balance. About 4 nights ago she began sleeping in the nesting box which didn’t concern me initially but after watching her closely yesterday I could tell her balance and gait was not normal. She is scratching and eating normally and when I pick her up she seems to have good strength in her legs. Also no loss of weight that I can tell. I did recently change feed from organic purina layer feed to to the organic crumble from Costco. Any suggestions to nurse her back? Thank you

There are several environmental causes and diseases that can present this way, it can also be something neurological. Before we jump to the scary stuff let's give her some vitamins and see what happens. I've had similar cases where the issue went away after a couple doses of vitamins.

Vitamins from the pet sore or feed store would do. You can give them to the whole flock in the water, but give some to her directly - dissolved in a teaspoon of water or rolled in some treats. Make sure the vitamins have E and B. Also, get some Selenium (the one for humans is fine) and mix a bit of it in the vitamins... just on the tip of a knife or spoon would do. Selenium is very helpful with certain neurological issues.

When was her last egg?

Photos of her and her poop?
Her last egg was probably 2+ months ago. I have her separated and her appetite is good. And still drinking water. Not as much poop as I would’ve expected by now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 9
The following can affect balance and gait in a chicken.

Mold exposure from contaminated feed or mold in bedding or compost pile
Below freezing or very hot weather
Exposure to insecticides
Exposure to rodent bait
Exposure to automotive products contaminating the soil

Any of those fit your situation?
one more: dehydration

There are several environmental causes and diseases that can present this way, it can also be something neurological. Before we jump to the scary stuff let's give her some vitamins and see what happens. I've had similar cases where the issue went away after a couple doses of vitamins.

Vitamins from the pet sore or feed store would do. You can give them to the whole flock in the water, but give some to her directly - dissolved in a teaspoon of water or rolled in some treats. Make sure the vitamins have E and B. Also, get some Selenium (the one for humans is fine) and mix a bit of it in the vitamins... just on the tip of a knife or spoon would do. Selenium is very helpful with certain neurological issues.
Good point! I had a little roo that had completely lost his balance one night, shortly after integration into my flock (along with his brooder mates). I picked him up and put him in the baby area in the coop (coop was still segregated to keep them safe), and he kept falling over, even doing somersaults! Having no idea what was wrong I gave him vitamins in water which he drank eagerly. It had been a hot day (as per usual). The next morning he was completely fine. I figured it was dehydration from being afraid to visit the watering stations (I added a bowl to their favorite hangout under a bush and it never happened again), but the vitamins might have helped as well. I think it’s a good idea to give an extra poultry vitamin mix (like Poultry Cell) in the water once a week or daily during stressful times.

Before we jump to the scary stuff let's give her some vitamins and see what happens. I've had similar cases where the issue went away after a couple doses of vitamins.
I've done the same. My OE was stumbling around a few weeks ago, looking like she wasn't aware of where one leg was in relation to the other. I gave her a daily dose of Poultry Nutri Drench with an extra drop of vit E for about 5 days, and the issue started to clear up. She's walking normally again.

I did recently change feed from organic purina layer feed to to the organic crumble from Costco.

Her last egg was probably 2+ months ago. I have her separated and her appetite is good. And still drinking water. Not as much poop as I would’ve expected by now.
Do you have the label for the new feed, is it fresh and in date?

I see some what looks like millet (?) in the cage in the droppings, is her crop emptying overnight and how much feed/crumbles does she eat vs. scratch, treats. Do you provide grit/crushed granite?

I'd work on hydration, see that her crop is emptying. Check the new feed for mold/mildew.
It wouldn't hurt to provide her with vitamin therapy for a week or so since she's off balance. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg to help with the uptake of E.

Back
Top Bottom