Who might’ve laid the first egg?

Newbiegirl7

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2023
I have barred rocks and golden laced wyandottes that are about 21 weeks old. I got my first little brown egg today which is very exciting but I’m trying to figure out who may have laid it. Here’s a picture of the two hens that look the most mature. I was thinking it was the barred rock because her comb is the biggest but I’m wondering if it may have been the other one? Anyone have any input?

Attachments

• 168EDCD2-9F7C-4B93-9A54-C2B0AD57947F.jpeg
    168EDCD2-9F7C-4B93-9A54-C2B0AD57947F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
I have barred rocks and golden laced wyandottes that are about 21 weeks old. I got my first little brown egg today which is very exciting but I’m trying to figure out who may have laid it. Here’s a picture of the two hens that look the most mature. I was thinking it was the barred rock because her comb is the biggest but I’m wondering if it may have been the other one? Anyone have any input?
I would think the PBR would have a darker egg.

If only one of them is squatting for you then that will probably be the culprit

If only one of them is squatting for you then that will probably be the culprit
Ok thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately none of them are squatting for me. I’m new to chickens but my understanding is they should squat when I get close to them and reach down to grab them? I tried today and none of the squatted.

Ok thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately none of them are squatting for me. I’m new to chickens but my understanding is they should squat when I get close to them and reach down to grab them? I tried today and none of the squatted.
Usually they start about the time they are getting ready to start laying, or are laying. Sometimes all you have to do is move around them and they will lol But, there are exceptions to everything

9 times outa 10 if u have a rooster a hen wont squat for u.. and especially without the rooster making a fuss.
My Delawares and RIR's squat when I take them by surprise. Roosters don't seem to care unless it is roosting time then they may fuss a bit but they get over it before I catch them. :D

If your rooster doesnt seem to care dont really seem like hes doin a decent job protecting them then. It should always be alert and run over to at least check on things

You must be dealing with chickens that u have “handled / touched / coddled daily” since day one.

I am hands off 100% unless something has an injury. Not catching one of my birds unless i have treats or use the net to pin them Down.

What breed is that?
Barred Rock is usually BR, and Gold Laced Wyandotte is usually GLW.

The longer name for Barred Rocks is "Barred Plymouth Rock," which has the same letters you used but in a different order. (Barred is the color, Plymouth Rock is the full name of the breed.)

That is definitely worth a try, and generally works, but in this case it might not.

If the other is close enough to laying her first egg, they might be too similar to tell. I've had that problem a few times.

Sometimes careful nestbox-watching, or isolating one hen, are the only ways that really work.

Back
Top Bottom