Who on earth laid this?

malkered

Chirping
May 16, 2015
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have five young pullets in one coop/run as follows.

Bobbi, who is an 18 week old Light Sussex.

Fuzzy and Ugg who are 16 week old Pekin Bantams.

Fleur who is a 16 week old Bresse.

Dotty who is a 15 week old Silver Spangled Hamburg.

Today I found a small egg in the coop, about bantam egg sized, I'm very surprised as the hens are so young.

The egg on the left is from my 2 yr old Lohman Brown, Daphne. who lives in a separate coop/run.

Likely it's from the eighteen-week-old pullet. Are any of the pullets' combs/wattles reddening? A pullet's first egg is very small, almost bantam-sized.

I haven't really noticed any changes in any of their combs or wattles but they are quite small on all of these hens. Bobbi (the 18 week pullet) has become noticeably more vocal of late and comes and 'talks' to me whenever I visit the coop.I don't know of that is of any relevance.

I was just surprised as seperatelyI have 7 other, older pullets ranging from 20 to 24 weeks and no sign of an egg yet.

I haven't really noticed any changes in any of their combs or wattles but they are quite small on all of these hens. Bobbi (the 18 week pullet) has become noticeably more vocal of late and comes and 'talks' to me whenever I visit the coop.I don't know of that is of any relevance.

I was just surprised as seperatelyI have 7 other, older pullets ranging from 20 to 24 weeks and no sign of an egg yet.

Yes, the talkative nature usually starts when they begin squatting and laying eggs. My RIR, Buff Brahma and my Black Australorps all chatter at me now, starting when they began to squat and lay eggs. So, it's probably your 18 week old pullet.

Yes, the talkative nature usually starts when they begin squatting and laying eggs.  My RIR, Buff Brahma and my Black Australorps all chatter at me now, starting when they began to squat and lay eggs.  So, it's probably your 18 week old pullet.

I wondered why her behaviour had changed! I never tire of these fantastic creatures!
So odd though that she is laying and the older ones aren't.

The two year old, Daphne, is an ex egg farm rescue Lohman Brown who very rarely misses a day.

I have a ten month old Amber Hybrid, Bess, who has only missed two or three days since she was 23 weeks.

I then have Lucky, Nugget and Pip, three RIR pullets who range between 22 and 24 weeks and haven't layed yet.

The above 6 live together.

I then have 4 pullets at around 20 weeks and no sign of an egg yet.

They are Belle, Etta, Coco and Sooty who live with my 20 week old Barred Rock Rooster, Pingu.

I then have the young ones living separately there are three roosters, Terry, a Buff Leghorn at 18 weeks, Patch, a gold spangled Hamburg at 16 weeks and Matt, a crested Roo (but I have no idea what breed).
They live with Bobbie, the 18 week old Light Sussex hen, Fuzzy and Ugg, two 16 week old Pekin bantam hens, Fleur, a 16 week old white Bresse hen and Dotty, a 16 week old Silver Spangled Hamburg.

It is from this last group that the small egg appeared, there was a second today.

The two year old, Daphne, is an ex egg farm rescue Lohman Brown who very rarely misses a day.

I have a ten month old Amber Hybrid, Bess, who has only missed two or three days since she was 23 weeks.

I then have Lucky, Nugget and Pip, three RIR pullets who range between 22 and 24 weeks and haven't layed yet.

The above 6 live together.

I then have 4 pullets at around 20 weeks and no sign of an egg yet.

They are Belle, Etta, Coco and Sooty who live with my 20 week old Barred Rock Rooster, Pingu.

I then have the young ones living separately there are three roosters, Terry, a Buff Leghorn at 18 weeks, Patch, a gold spangled Hamburg at 16 weeks and Matt, a crested Roo (but I have no idea what breed).
They live with Bobbie, the 18 week old Light Sussex hen, Fuzzy and Ugg, two 16 week old Pekin bantam hens, Fleur, a 16 week old white Bresse hen and Dotty, a 16 week old Silver Spangled Hamburg.

It is from this last group that the small egg appeared, there was a second today.
Oh, well, don't think all those were listed before ;-)

My amberlink cross has laid darn near everyday and she's about 22 months now.

Back
Top Bottom