Who orders vegetable seeds through the mail?

Oh.. I got a $35 discount for a $50 order from Gurney... when I did it two weeks ago

which in the end meant I spent the same but got a TON of extra stuff I couldn't afford before... include sweet potatoes!

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Pinetree this year..the prices looked good so did the variety and I was thrilled so I ordered about $80 worth of bulbs and seeds..two weeks later no word at all so (and this is exactly how it went)

I sent a note saying "I had not heard from you and wondered if everything was going ok with my order?" no word so I wrote again a few days later "this is my second email I am just wanting to know if you have my order and when you estimate the date of mailing? " third email "I am beginning to grow concerned as I see you have taken the money off my credit card it has now been three weeks and a week since my first email could you at least have someone respond and let me know everything is ok?"

finally over three weeks after I placed my order I get this response

"We are EXTREMELY busy and like it said in our catalog it is going to take AT LEAST THREE WEEKS TO FILL YOU ORDER BE PATIENT!"

OK I am patient! but they actually sent me a note like that with the caps and all !! So sadly I canceled my order and will not order from them again
I love Johnny's seeds they are a bit more pricey but they are fast polite and I got my order with out any need for an email inquiry

otherwise I just buy locally I like Ed Hume seeds a lot and there are always sales here and there ..no postage and I can just grab what I want off the rack

Mostly I save my own seeds and trade with other heirloom growers for varieties I want. When I do buy seed, I get it from Baker Creek, Sand Hill or SSE. I'm very particular, and won't buy from any sources that also deal in GMO seeds.

I usually order from Burpee and Parks. We go to Jungs Garden center in Madison, Wi to buy our seeds also.
If anyone wants to see how your favorite company or nursery rates go to gardenwatchdog.com. They even have ratings for some of the hatcheries where you may buy your chicks and supplies.

Quote:
Mine too.. I got everything except my sweet potatoes

I bought:

1 SQUASH WINTER VEGETABLE
1 CORN SWEET HYB NORTHERN XTRA
1 TOMATO COLD SET PKT/G
1 FL - SUNFLOWER SUNSPOT PKT/G
1 BROCCOLI CORONADO CROWN HYBRID PKT.
1 PEANUT JUMBO VIRGINIA PKT/G
1 CORN SWEET HYB NORTHERN XTRA
1 PUMPKIN GURNEY'S GIANT MAGIC PKT
1 PARSNIP ALL AMERICAN PKT/G
1 BEAN BUSH EARLY CONTENDER PKT./G
1 LEEK AMERICAN FLAG PKT.
1 CAULIFLOWER SNOW CROWN HYB. PKT
POTATO YUKON GOLD - 2LBS WHOLE
POTATO SWEET BEAUREGARD PL/12û

I was so happy they had leeks & parsnips... they are my two favorite new vegetables

ONLY Organic, ONLY Non-GMO, and ONLY Heirloom! You name we have or will grow it! Baker Creek Seeds has been our choice for many years, because the above mentioned is what they sell. They also support community programs here in the US and all over the world! They are involved in many agricultural actions. They have a HUGE (thousands of folks) festival twice a year! They are family owned and operated on a working village farm. He (Jeremiah Gettle) started collecting seeds as a very young boy and put out his first catalog at a super young age (like 14?). And they have a flat rate shipping cost! Seed packets are cheaper than the "home" stores and you get more in a packet. And they always throw in FREE seed packets with your order! Their germination rate is amazing! And I've never seen a better selection, crazy things to grow or heritage and everything in between. And the catalog is like a coffee table book! Here's their site:
http://rareseeds.com/
They now have a livestock barn dealing with heirloom animals (LOTS O CHICKENS)!
big_smile.png

Blessings,
Amy J.

Back
Top Bottom