Who passes the blue egg gene with Ameracaunas?

PTA Chicks

Songster
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
KZN, South Africa
Does the blue egg gene come from the rooster side or the hen? If there is a cross with an Ameracauna rooster and a brown egg laying hen (hybrid layer), is there anyway to know what colour egg to expect from the offspring? My rooster really likes some of my layers!

Does the blue egg gene come from the rooster side or the hen? If there is a cross with an Ameracauna rooster and a brown egg laying hen (hybrid layer), is there anyway to know what colour egg to expect from the offspring? My rooster really likes some of my layers!
It can come from both side. All eggs are white under neath. Blue is dominant to white. They will get 2 color genes, 1 from each parent...

If it is a true Ameraucana... he should pass one copy of his blue egg gene to his offspring. If he is not but more Easter Egger, they may only have one blue egg gene and able to pass on the non blue gene.. this is the way I currently understand it anyways... and according to my experience...

If you cross him to a white layer, get light blue eggs. Cross to a blue layer, likely get blue eggs. Cross to a brown layer will get somewhere between khaki dirt to grey and olive color depending on the intensity of the two shades. See this simplified version of egg color charts taken from google images...
ffdbd32f55f41ad814907133e9c9ee71.jpg

science-color5.jpg

They're not quite accurate.. but at least gives you a good idea where to start. :thumbsup

Also, it true that a Marans sire will pass his dark brown egg color gene to his offspring. But it is mostly about dominant egg color more than which is the sire or dame in THIS instance.

I got a first generation Ameraucana cross Black copper Marans. She had beautiful cheeks and pea comb and laid the darkest Marans colored egg of my whole flock. I don't believe in any way that breeder used EE. But most folks do report "olive" colored eggs from their first gen crosses.

Happy chicken-eering! :wee

Last edited:
All eggs are white under neath.
Except the blue ones ;)

If it is a true Ameraucana... he should pass one copy of his blue egg gene to his offspring. If he is not but more Easter Egger, they may only have one blue egg gene and able to pass on the non blue gene.. this is the way I currently understand it anyways... and according to my experience...
Yeppers!

It can come from both side. All eggs are white under neath. Blue is dominant to white. They will get 2 color genes, 1 from each parent...

If you cross him to a white layer, get light blue eggs. Cross to a blue layer, likely get blue eggs. Cross to a brown layer will get somewhere between khaki dirt to grey and olive color depending on the intensity of the two shades. See this simplified version of egg color charts taken from google images...
ffdbd32f55f41ad814907133e9c9ee71.jpg

science-color5.jpg

They're not quite accurate.. but at least gives you a good idea where to start. :thumbsup

Also, it true that a Marans sire will pass his dark brown egg color gene to his offspring. But it is mostly about dominant egg color more than which is the sire or dame in THIS instance.

I got a first generation Ameraucana cross Black copper Marans. She had beautiful cheeks and pea comb and laid the darkest Marans colored egg of my whole flock. I don't believe in any way that breeder used EE. But most folks do report "olive" colored eggs from their first gen crosses.

Happy chicken-eering! :wee
How can you cross a tan layer with a blue layer? Shouldn't one of them be a non-layer, aka rooster?

How can you cross a tan layer with a blue layer? Shouldn't one of them be a non-layer, aka rooster?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Nice catch on the details of that image..

Now when I post something, I usually try to include the link OR that it was posted from google images, etc.. not my own.. apparently.. that didn't happen for the post you've quoted.

I also try not to post inaccurate stuff and will be sure to weed that specific image out of any future posts. :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom