Who persuaded a non-BYC'er to get Chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenannie, Mar 15, 2009.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Since Nifty's motto is "Every yard a chicken", I thought it would be fun to hear stories of persuading people to get chickens for the first time.

Did you convince someone to buy their first chickens? How did you do it?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Showed them a Silkie... then let them pet it. [​IMG]

3. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    Trying...

4. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    one of my friends liked my fuzzy butts so much she went out and bought her own pretty much right away. I didn't do anything but let her hold them [​IMG]

But my other friend has just started talking seriously about getting her own. She's been visiting them since they were tiny and now buys eggs from me, which she loves. So a gradual introduction seemed to work best for her!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I talked my friends wife into it, but my friend said no. I think he feels it will be too much work... I'm spending some time this afternoon. I'll talk him into it.

I have a number of neighbors who are expressing interest in getting chooks. Maybe I should send them here first!

6. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I gave a neighbor a beautiful blue rooster and 5 blue hens from my birds that I hatched myself. They were Marans that didn't fit my needs in my flock and were going to have to be culled. I can't tell you how thrilled I was when they were found a great home right down the road!

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    yup. x3.

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:ditto on the wife/husband routine... still working on him.
    bugs me that a spouse would say NO to their spoulse about anything, but I guess I'm just lucky that way.

9. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yeah...there are two people at work with chickens that weren't sure they wanted them. [​IMG] One was thinking about it b/c he had some as a kid, but I hooked him up with a breeder and enabled...er...helped [​IMG] him get them.

The other had had chickens as a kid and I ordered chicks and offered him my packing peanuts...then hatched a bunch more out and gave them to him. He's got the bug bad. [​IMG]

I think EVERYONE in a stressful job should have chickens!

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] That'll do it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by