Who persuaded a non-BYC'er to get Chickens?

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
Since Nifty's motto is "Every yard a chicken", I thought it would be fun to hear stories of persuading people to get chickens for the first time.

Did you convince someone to buy their first chickens? How did you do it?

Showed them a Silkie... then let them pet it.
lau.gif

one of my friends liked my fuzzy butts so much she went out and bought her own pretty much right away. I didn't do anything but let her hold them
big_smile.png

But my other friend has just started talking seriously about getting her own. She's been visiting them since they were tiny and now buys eggs from me, which she loves. So a gradual introduction seemed to work best for her!

I talked my friends wife into it, but my friend said no. I think he feels it will be too much work... I'm spending some time this afternoon. I'll talk him into it.

I have a number of neighbors who are expressing interest in getting chooks. Maybe I should send them here first!

I gave a neighbor a beautiful blue rooster and 5 blue hens from my birds that I hatched myself. They were Marans that didn't fit my needs in my flock and were going to have to be culled. I can't tell you how thrilled I was when they were found a great home right down the road!

Yeah...there are two people at work with chickens that weren't sure they wanted them.
lau.gif
One was thinking about it b/c he had some as a kid, but I hooked him up with a breeder and enabled...er...helped
wink.png
him get them.

The other had had chickens as a kid and I ordered chicks and offered him my packing peanuts...then hatched a bunch more out and gave them to him. He's got the bug bad.
lau.gif

I think EVERYONE in a stressful job should have chickens!

Back
Top Bottom