Who raises just ONE breed?

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
Do you raise just one breed? How long have you had that breed? Are you doing anything to improve that breed/line? How many hens/roosters of that breed do you have. Are they for selling eggs, eggs for family/friends, mainly pet egg layer(s), older non-laying pet(s), or for any other purpose. Do you own books about your breed?

I have four pet bbs Orpingtons, two black hens, one blue hen, and one rooster (no splashes) that I hatched and incubated last year. Now I want to hatch out two or three all-navy-blue (look black when not in sunlight) hens and maybe a rooster. If I eventually succeed, I "might" build a new, larger coop and try to get a line going of all dark-navy-blue Orpingtons. I have no books about Orpingtons. EVERYTHING I know about chickens, building coops and runs, caring for, etc., I've learned here on BYC.
BTW, it was pictures of all-navy-blue Orpingtons that got me interested in chickens in the first place. I had no idea that they were not raised exclusively by anyone in the U.S., only in England... Oh, well, I "think" I'm on the right track now for changing that situation, but it might be a pipe dream about something that I know nothing about... We'll see.

Note: I also have a blue silkie hen and her splash chick, but those two have their own coop, and I have no plans for them other than keep them as is for their lifetime; however, if the chick is a rooster, it will be given to a new home. It would be nice to have two silkie hens for hatching blue Orpington eggs and let them raise them. Sure would beat messing with incubators and brooders.

I do. I raise Standard Dark Cornish. I am working on frame and leg length issues to get a more sound bird.

I have three roos and three hens, 8 chicks, and more in the incubator.

I am also playing with making a Spangled and Barred variety, and starting work on that one the regular breeding is done.

I love them. They are so freindly and gentle for their size, they are my chunky monkeys. I make broccoli pinatas for them on the weekends, and they get so excited it's really cute.

I raise just two. Last year I got into Old English... now I love them too much! Moderns were my only thing for 5 years. And they're still my main breed. I have 6 roos, and 22 hens. I show them, and I try to breed them to the Standard. I'm getting there, but I need to breed lower tails and I need to breed shafting out. they're dang cute though, I love them to death. Me and a friend might be trying to frizzle Moderns here in the future, as well as introduce a new variety. It'll be so fun!
big_smile.png
I have a mixed layer flock too, but seeing as I don't breed them I don't really count them.

I have Silkies only, and don't plan on getting any other breed
right now. I've only had them since October of 2008, so not
even long enough for them to start laying yet.
I haven't decided if I'm going to try to show or not, but I do
want to improve the lines of the ones I have.
We pretty much got them just for eggs for the SO.
We have 6 pullets that I know of, and 2 cockerels for sure.
Not sure what the other 4 are yet, but probably cockerels
with my luck.

Quote:
Moody Chicken, I don't have a clue about what a "modern" is; never have heard of them. Good luck with your efforts with them and your Old English. Sure wish I knew what an Old English looked like too. I'm really super-ignorant on breeds. It drives me crackers when people use intitials for various breeds on here. I just ain't informed on all the breeds.

Quote:
Best of luck improving your silkies. I hope you soon find that yours are perfect as they are (if they're like my little silkie hen). Maybe someday, the roosters will crow and then you'll know. I'm truly wondering if I'll ever be sure about the sex of my silkie hen's chick. He/she is now more than six-months-old, and I'm about ready to name him/her Pat.

Quote:
I only raise Silkies.

I started out with 4 silkies back in 2004 I believe, but moved on to other breeds. I returned to the Silkie breed in 2008 and have focused my efforts on purely Silkies since then.

I am currently working to improve type on the Lavender, Buff, and B/B/S varieties.

I currently have 5 Buff hens and 1 Buff Rooster, 5 blue hens and 1 black rooster, 2 Lavender cockerals, and 8 Lavender/Black split chicks. I also have 6 chicks in the brooder of unknown sex at this time.

They are purely for personal enjoyment, and show. Although we will be dyeing Silkie eggs for Easter with the nieces and nephews.

If there was a Silkie book, I'm sure I'd own it. However I do have multiple "poultry" books in general.

I just raise one breed. Guess which kind....
lau.gif

I will begin a project on improving the size and lack of egg color in the silver variety.

The buffs need work in the egg color.

I am starting another line of lavenders. Which is a huge project.

There is lots to work on within this one breed with the eight varieties and I don't understand why people want to create more when what we have is far from perfect and needs so much work.

Quote:
I only raise Silkies.

I started out with 4 silkies back in 2004 I believe, but moved on to other breeds. I returned to the Silkie breed in 2008 and have focused my efforts on purely Silkies since then.

I am currently working to improve type on the Lavender, Buff, and B/B/S varieties.

I currently have 5 Buff hens and 1 Buff Rooster, 5 blue hens and 1 black rooster, 2 Lavender cockerals, and 8 Lavender/Black split chicks. I also have 6 chicks in the brooder of unknown sex at this time.

They are purely for personal enjoyment, and show. Although we will be dyeing Silkie eggs for Easter with the nieces and nephews.

If there was a Silkie book, I'm sure I'd own it. However I do have multiple "poultry" books in general.

Congratulations! You've learned the secret of having fun.

Back
Top Bottom