1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

who says silkies are horrible layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scarletbaby, Oct 27, 2010.

1. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    My silkie has laid 12 eggs in the past 14 days (might have been more if it didnt rain). When i got her i was expecting to get an egg every other day but she is being super awesome. Now i just need to make the eggs bigger somehow.......

2. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My Silkies just started laying and so far I've been getting an egg every single day! I'm very pleased with them. [​IMG]

3. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Mine lay just about every day or every other day too!!! I [​IMG] my Silkies!

4. Mofarmgirl

Mofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    S.E. Missouri
    That's wonderful! I truly hope breeders of these heritage breeds will start shooting for not only looks but laying abilities [​IMG]

5. Sher

Sher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Roscoe, Texas
    My Silkies are little egg machines! My fridge is full of them. Do people buy Silky eggs?

Sher Morrow 2 Bearded Collies, 2 cats 60+ chickens, 10 Heritage Turkeys, 8 ducks, 10 Guineas, 1 bossy goose, and 4 calves.
    Roscoe, Tx

6. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I know I expected to get an egg or two a week out of my silkies but I usually get 5 eggs a week out of each girl. They have been very consistent. [​IMG]

Candace

7. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    If any of you lived near me, I would buy chicks for sure. We've been wanting silkies, but none nearby. There are now, but the guy we go through just got them for breeding, and they are still chicks themselves. Maybe in spring we can get some chicks from him. Fingers crossed! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by