Who should I blame?

SteveE

Songster
May 2, 2020
Central PA
The pop door didn't close last night and someone got a hen. Some Pennsylvania predator dragged the large dead bird up onto the roof of the coop, nibbled a bit of belly, and then took off leaving the remaining birds alive and well. Who does that? I'm right in town but only a mile from extensive mountain woodlands..... in my yard I've seen wild turkey, skunk, coon, opossum, groundhog, and a number of different raptors. There have been fox as close as six blocks and once in awhile a bear wanders through town. So ..... someone messed with just one bird and left the rest alone, didn't really eat it, and dragged it up onto the roof and left it there. Who does that? Obviously not the turkey or groundhog. I suppose it might have been a raptor in the early morning.

Sorry for the loss. I'm guessing coon. Do you have a game camera you could put out to see what's around? Whatever it was, it will be back.

You might want to think about a secure run. If the pop door fails again, they would be protected from any critters. My run is predator proof, and I only close my pop door during very cold and windy weather.

Back
Top Bottom