Who stocks up for storms?

. . . . Stock up on firewood from outside and wait?
tongue.png

I don't live in Hurricane isle though but we do get 60-100 mph windstorms annually. Torrential rain is mandatory.

We usually have some sort of food around that is easy to prepare or eat without electricity, whether it be some form of produce, or something to heat up over the woodstove.

When I lived in the high country, where no snow plow came, we would always have meat, milk, potatoes and booze. We had a neighborhood agreement. Another family had veggies, another had fruits and side dishes, another had snacks for kids, etc. We also changed gathering places for each new storm. I cannot tell you the massive amounts of fun we had. Our stove and heat was propane, so even when the power went out, we could still cook and stay warm.

I remember one Thanksgiving Day when a storm hit that we were not warned about. We were snowed in for 3 days because Jake the Drunk, who was the only person up there with a vehicle plow, was stoned drunk and passed out for most of those three days. We were going from house to house, gathering people and provisions. We all wound up at our house, because we had a generator. And the gas to run it. That was the best Thanksgiving I have ever had. 40 people and so much different food, games, laughter, just a great time. We really hated it when Jake woke up.

Last edited:
I live in earthquake country, we're always stocked up. Quake kit, camping gear and XL first aide kit all sit together, if the house collapses, I only have 1 corner to dig supplies out of.

Quote:
Only you could make a snow storm sound like fun!!!
celebrate.gif

We lose our power out here to a heavy snow storm almost every spring. The longest was 3 days and we were snowed in with no power. That one was 2 years ago. I was mortified, I had eggs in the bator on day 19
barnie.gif
My darling wonderful hubbby braved the back roads all the way to town to get his Dads generator, not run the fridge or heat the house, but to run the bator!! We were using a kerosene heater for heat and I was heating food on the top of it. It was sort of fun hanging out with our son, playing games and "camping" in the livingroom
lol.png
Oh and only 1 of those eggs hatched!!!

While living in Charleston, I was always amused at the frenzied shopping prior to a hurricane. Particularly at the people who went out and bought milk and sandwich meats. Like, where are you going to keep that stuff when the power goes out? After Hurricane Hugo in '89, they were the people standing in lines and whining because they couldn't get ice.

Ever since the Blizzard of 1978 in Rhode Island, people freaked out before snowstorms and would buy up all the milk and bread to be had from the store. It got to be kind of a statewide in-joke, but up to when I moved away in 2008 they were still doing it.
smile.png
Now there is no water in any of the 3 local supermarkets, which is making me laugh because, calm down folks, just fill all your pots and pans and that's quite a few gallons right there. The media up here is flogging the story pretty hard, but they always do.
roll.png

Hope everyone stays safe, warm, fed, and dry!

I have a surgical grade med kit that I keep on hand, plenty of non-perishable food, chocolate stuffs, extra animal feed for the animals, pet carriers at the ready, go-bags for myself and the kiddo that are waterproof, extra betteries (ALWAYS have those), candles in jars, blankets and sheets in waterproof bags, 5 sets of weather appropriate clothing in space bags that can be tossed into a suitcase. Cash.

we are planning as we would normally for a nor easter with a few changes such we emptied the outside freezer on the porch and have used up as much of our frozen food like meats, veggies etc we are planning to be without power for at least 24 to 48 hours. we know it could be possibily be longer as we have made it through nor easters in the past. we are basically waiting to see whats going to happen next and have our grill secured outside and i have already filled the chickens two waters and plan to double the chickens feed tonight so in the event the storm is to strong and i cannot make it out to them they will have enough. I cleaned out the closet under the stairs if we have wind gusts over 70 mph i am bringing them in.

most concerning for us since we are in central ny is the ground is already saturated and with sustained wind and flooding threats as far in as we are I know losing power is a no brainer and theres a possibility of breaking windows and damage to the house with the trees around us and the direction the storm is coming in. If a tree falls on the house or whatever so be it as long as my hub is at work hes safe as long as he stays there and stays put and doesnt try to travel home i will be thankful. Much as we would do if a tornado approached is take cover in the bathroom will probably be a tight fit but planning for the worst can sometimes be your best friend in the event it does indeed happen.

I always try to have lots of bottled water and cans on hand just in case something happens. It doesn't hurt to always be prepared. It doesn't take up that much space, and as I use them I just replace them.

Back
Top Bottom