Who uses Little Giant Incubators?

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
Anyway, I'm looking into buying an incubator...
Perhaps I'm just crazy... Right? lol.
I was searching Little Giant incubator. the first time I hatched eggs I used a havorbator (or whatever one starts with an h and i think it's popular). I'm into little giant. I saw on youtube that it might be better then the other because the skylights come out .

Does anybody use one?
If so what is your review on it? Would you recommend it to someone?
I found a store in sussex that only sells little giants in store. no other one. The reviews state that the thermometer is off?
Others say it's accurate... I guess the only way to tell is to do a check. The store is 1 hr away from where I live... Better then trying to ship it back to amazon. lol.

Anybody?

Little giants need lots of attention and are prone to temp spike alot of people here have tried them and do not like them at all. I have one and you have to spend days getteing just right then you have to keep the room at just the right temp its a pain.
I would suggest one of these.
http://www.brinsea.com/products/mini.html
http://www.brinsea.com/products/octagon20eco.htm
http://chickensforbackyards.com/Genesis-Incubator-1588.htm

Those are pretty much the most highly recomended table top incubators on here.

I have a Little Giant that I never got to use because it was "too simple", and very cheaply built. I had to go another way.
th.gif

I'm using one right now. I can vouch for its temp spikes as such. I babysit it OFTEN! I ordered the Genesis when I ordered my chicks for spring. I would imagine the LG would be a step down from a hovabator. The Genesis is deemed to be 'plug & play'.

I'm using one for the first time for bird eggs (used it previously for reptile eggs). I had it up and running about a week before I received the eggs. I added a fan in the middle of that time and had to readjust. So far I don't have any complaints with it. I am keeping mine in a spare bathroom with no windows and door closed. I have been able to maintain temps pretty well. I have 2 digital and one "mercury" thermometers in there. They all register within 1 degree of each other. One reads 99.1 to 99.5 and the other digital and mercury read 100.1 to 100.6. Humidity is pretty constant at 35% with the outer two wells filled. I am turning the eggs by just lifting one side of the incubator and rotating.

Now mine is an older unit (purchased in 2006) and hasn't been used for several years. Maybe the newer models are different? With all that being said, if I was to go out and purchase a new incubator, I would get the Genesis 1588 over the LG. I highly suggest you read this thread. While its long, it has valuable info regarding incubating with the LG. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/601352/little-giant-incubator-tricks/630#post_10282769

I use an LG (still air), and I can't say anything bad about it. I just check my thermometer each time (place it in a plastic bag with ice and a little water to see if it reads accurately-32°) then I set the eggs and get to work turning 3x's a day. It was sort of a pain trying to get the temp right the first time I used it, but once I got it where it needed to be I just left it there and its stayed at 100-100.5° ever since. Good luck :)
Nikki

I have used LG incubators for the last 4 years with no problems. I keep them in a room that does not get much traffic through it so the temp doesn't change. I have 2 for incubating which are forced air with auto turners and a still air no turner for hatching in. They run pretty much non stop from spring to fall.

I use the little giant. They will hatch your eggs and they do take more of your time. I have 2 that I can sell now, 1 with turner. We upgraded to the big wooden incubator it seems to be less hassle free although I miss seeing the chicks hatch. I saw on byc 2 nice incubators for sale Brinsea that holds 20.
Have a blessed day.

The trouble with my house is that the windows are old and the air seeps through it even though it is closed. So i don't think little giants are for me.
I had a successful hatch last year with farm eggs from a local farm that rents the equipment out. usually they have 3-4 hatch out of 12. But I got
around 6 hatched in which one was a RIR

Back
Top Bottom