Who uses Little Giant Incubators?

Just mutts. RIR over hybrid hens and Cuckoo Marans over SG Dorkings and RIR over SG Dorkings. Had this incubator from road trip in states last fall. Got bored & decided to test drive it!
Haha cool, we have copper marans in the LG now... They're so hard to tell how far along they are when candling!

Ooh, copper marans! Nice!
4th one just hatched! I must have done something right! 4 out of 5.
Not getting hopes up on 3 due on 27th. I feel they may have drowned in all the humidity needed for first hatch. Time will tell!
When are your Marans due?

Ooh, copper marans! Nice!
4th one just hatched! I must have done something right! 4 out of 5.
Not getting hopes up on 3 due on 27th. I feel they may have drowned in all the humidity needed for first hatch. Time will tell!
When are your Marans due?
Our Marans are due the 27th. Although a lot of people have said it is normal for them to be late but we are hoping they come on time!

Interesting! You never know!
I just candled one egg for my 27th hatch due date. Still kicking in there! Yay! Will have the brooder ready tomorrow. No action yet on last egg though. Will leave it alone, maybe hatch tomorrow.
Best of luck to you! Hope they hatch on time! :)

Day 17 with incubating the quail eggs. Thus far, 3 have hatched! First time ever hatching bird eggs. Set 14, locked down with 11 and 3 have hatched so far. Not bad IMO with shipped eggs, using a little giant incubator, and not knowing what the heck I am doing! ;)

Getting my new lg ready to be stuffed full next weekend. Just figured out the insanely worded label for the heat adjustment and think I may got it now! :)

I've been hatching eggs for 36 and a half years. Started with one of those grapefruit sized plastic dome incubators from GQF in 1976 as an 11 yr old kid. The LGs are a piece of crap, I'll just say it. Today while candling some eggs, I was sure i saw a blood ring on Day 7, didn't surprise me that embryos might be dead since the temps had spiked once while DW took the egg-turning shift for a couple days while I was out of town on business. Then I get home and the temps are a cool 94!!! Egads, i fell like I'm done. I go in to do an egg-topsy on 3 eggs and the 7 day old embryos were alive. (Hatching Marans so the embryos are hard to see). I just wasted 3 marans!! Argh. The LG plays head games with me like an old girlfriend i once had.

I'm getting a Brinsea Advance EX and put this agony to rest.

Run away to good-quality-incubator-land while you still have time. You get what you pay for, don't settle for a styrofoam "ghetto" product, put money into quality.

I've been hatching eggs for 36 and a half years. Started with one of those grapefruit sized plastic dome incubators from GQF in 1976 as an 11 yr old kid. The LGs are a piece of crap, I'll just say it. Today while candling some eggs, I was sure i saw a blood ring on Day 7, didn't surprise me that embryos might be dead since the temps had spiked once while DW took the egg-turning shift for a couple days while I was out of town on business. Then I get home and the temps are a cool 94!!! Egads, i fell like I'm done. I go in to do an egg-topsy on 3 eggs and the 7 day old embryos were alive. (Hatching Marans so the embryos are hard to see). I just wasted 3 marans!! Argh. The LG plays head games with me like an old girlfriend i once had.

I'm getting a Brinsea Advance EX and put this agony to rest.

Run away to good-quality-incubator-land while you still have time. You get what you pay for, don't settle for a styrofoam "ghetto" product, put money into quality.
X2 I loathe a Little Giant. I suffered two years with that sucker, and destroyed many an egg that could have been a happy thriving chick, before I ran off to the land of Brinsea and never looked back. Not only did I never look back, I never had to babysit an incubator again, just set it and forget it.

I love your frank assessment Chicken Keith! They sure do play head games, just like an ex I had too! Lol!
I did get a 75% hatch rate by the end, but it came at a high price. I was a basket-case for last 3 days! I drove my family NUTS! Just too much work in monitoring. I AM getting a Hovabator Genesis in April! That being said, I got sucked into doing the Easter Hatchalong. It will be a bit better this go around because there's a link there from Mumsy, who has made simple, detailed modifications to the LG unit.

Back
Top Bottom