Who uses the poultry cups?

2DogsCoop

Songster
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
Naples, FL
I ordered the poultry cups the other day for our new coop, they were delivered today and I thought that they look awesome. I am going to order the pressure reducer sometime this week but I also had another idea. Does anyone use rainwater for their chickens. I was thinking of putting cutters on my coop with a large drum to hold water and then connect it to the poultry cups. Was just wondering if there could be issues doing it that was or best just to use my well and get the pressure reducing valve. Thanks

Only issues I've had is if there is debris in the water it can/will eventually make the cups leak. I've only had that issue with cups used directly at the bottom of a water container vs those tubed in from the side of water containers. I think the one with the side spigot allows particles to settle to the bottom of the water container instead of going into the tubing and the cups. So I would recommend a fine filter for the water entrance and a side outlet an inch or so up for the water exit to the cups and an easy disconnect for cleaning the water container when necessary.

I use the cups so let me know if you have any questions about them.

I have been thinking about adding a rainwater bucket witha screen on top to deflect debris but also worry about the green particles getting in and causing growth.

Quote:
I have a rain barrels for the garden and the chickens and love it. The only thing I would recommend is getting those pond doughnuts so you dont get mosquitoes (Bacillus thuringiensis ) It will take care of the larvae and isn't harmful to animals and people. You can find them at the hardware.

Quote:
Thanks, I am going to hood it up to my well water for now. I didn't buy the pressure regulator yet, I wanted to try and use a valve and just close it down and see if that works first. Those pressure regulating valves are expensive. I think it will work. I have time as we don't even have our chicks yet and it will be a while until they are using the cups. Do you have photos of your set up?

Hi I have the cups and love them but you really need a regulator as if your pressure is over 5lbs they spray water every where when the chickens try to drink,,,i have silkies and they didnt look so good all wet...i purchased a really good regulator and now the cups work great....turning the valve down doesnt really work as you still have a lot of pressure....invest in one you wont regret it and the cups are just so nice

Quote:
Can you tell me where you got your regulator and how much it cost? I found one on the farm tek web site and it was around $60. Thanks

You can use a bucket/tank and a float valve instead of a pressure regulator. Cheaper. Float valve keeps the bucket full from the well. Bucket then acts as standard gravity feed tank. Everything available at most farm or hardware stores.

Back
Top Bottom