Who wants to guess 9 week Silkie sex based on combs?

Slothinc

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
I took pics of my 9 week old black silkies’ combs today. I have nine but must have missed one, oops!! I can say that for sure that #4 is a roo and almost positive #6 is pullet based on a very small comb. Also almost positive that #3 is a boy because he is huge. The rest all seem to fall in the middle but I am scared they may be all Roos because they have bigger combs than #4. If anyone wants to share an opinion it would be welcomed. **I do know they are very young still, and that comb isn’t the only indicator, but these are the only pics I have at the moment and this is just for fun**

Attachments

• IMG_8215.jpeg
    IMG_8215.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8234.jpeg
    IMG_8234.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8231.jpeg
    IMG_8231.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8228.jpeg
    IMG_8228.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8226.jpeg
    IMG_8226.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8222.jpeg
    IMG_8222.jpeg
    519.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8211.jpeg
    IMG_8211.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8217.jpeg
    IMG_8217.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 17
6 definitely looks like a pullet. I'm gonna guess the rest are most likely cockerels. But you never really know for sure at this age.
Thanks! It has been a few years since I had babies so I have forgotten what they are supposed to look like at this age. Maybe I should try to get rid of a few of the cockerels now - I *definitely* do not need 8 black silkie Roos 😂

It’s kind of funny because as chicks I would have guess that number 6 was a cockerel because of the upright posture she always had. And some of the others have seemed to have more “hen posture” but their combs and leg size tell another story…

Thanks! It has been a few years since I had babies so I have forgotten what they are supposed to look like at this age. Maybe I should try to get rid of a few of the cockerels now - I *definitely* do not need 8 black silkie Roos 😂

It’s kind of funny because as chicks I would have guess that number 6 was a cockerel because of the upright posture she always had. And some of the others have seemed to have more “hen posture” but their combs and leg size tell another story…
With mine it's both sex's posture more than their combs at first.
Hackle feathers seem to be the last hint to me, but the tail feathers help a bit more.

For some reason the mottled and NNs here look like they'll be much easier to sex. My younger batch is just hitting two months old and I'm getting pretty close to knowing those ones. The others, pfft, I just wait lol.

Back
Top Bottom