Who? What? Huh?

blackacres

Wrangler of the Tiny Raptors
Oct 10, 2021
Topeka, KS
Just went to lock up the outdoor coop and found this! It was in the banty coop. I have 3 laying, but this egg isn’t the same color as the ones they always give me. It’s a bit darker. I think my Silkies are all too young to lay, so I’m stumped. No idea who laid the fairy egg.
5C2F26A1-02F5-4DD1-A086-4838668F145B.jpeg

Photo of the fairy egg with some of my regular banty eggs for comparison

3EFC4DF9-E950-4F59-BC0D-56A8C7F81114.jpeg

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

It seems to me that the fairy eggs are a darker color then normal when they happen.
This is good to know. So it is possible that this is from one of my Serama mixes?
Faerie eggs are usually darker because the same amount of bloom is sprayed on a smaller surface
Thank you for that info!
Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.
The three Serama mixes range from 6 months to a little over 1 year so they’re not very old yet. Your response was informative. I appreciate that!

Back
Top Bottom