Whoa, pullet adding color?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WildBillHicks, Nov 1, 2012.

1. WildBillHicks

WildBillHicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    I got a weird EE/Ameraucana mix this summer with mostly grey/dark brown feathers. She was about 2 months old.

Recently as she has gotten older and the cold weather has started up she seems to be added a new color. It's a gold or orange color.

You can see it in her neck, top of her head and a streak on her back. Is this just because she's molting and adding new feathers or what? Will more of this new color come out? I think she's about 6 months old now if that helps.

About 6 weeks ago. Notice the top of her head and neck, no gold/orange.

[​IMG]

Taken today. Top of head, neck, back. It's crazy! You guys seen this adding new colors thing before?

[​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    That is really weird I have never come across this before, I maybe because it is a cross between [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EE and Ameraucana.
    Sorry, wish I could help more!
    Good Look!
    [/FONT]
    [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Has she started crowing yet? Cockerels are known to get colors as they mature.

4. X2..... with those dark patches on the wings... I would say look out for the cockadoodledoooooooooo

5. WildBillHicks

WildBillHicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    I doubt it's a cockerel. The tail for one is not right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by