Whole corn...do hens eat it?

rockgirl365

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
Ravenna, MI
I was just watching an episode of Becky's Homestead on YouTube. Since my hens just started laying eggs I hope that they will lay throughout the winter. Becky said to feed hens one cup of whole corn per day (in addition to layer feed) during the winter months. Does anyone do this? If so, do your hens eat the whole corn without having to mix it in with the layer feed?

My hens never used to like corn - they'd ignore it. As they've got older they enjoy it as a treat.
There's a theory that digesting the corn keeps chickens warmer but there's no conclusive evidence to say if it's actually true or not. I'd say digesting anything would do the same, but it's a nice treat if your birds like it.

If your birds are large breeds then I'd say whole corn would be fine to give them.

My hens never used to like corn - they'd ignore it. As they've got older they enjoy it as a treat.
There's a theory that digesting the corn keeps chickens warmer but there's no conclusive evidence to say if it's actually true or not. I'd say digesting anything would do the same, but it's a nice treat if your birds like it.

If your birds are large breeds then I'd say whole corn would be fine to give them.
I just have 2 Penedesencas. Idk if that's considered a large or small breed.

Ah, Becky's Homestead- HOME to inaccurate information. Whole corn should be given as a treat, and won't affect their laying. Feeding them whole corn every day will ensure that they're not getting the right nutrient balance, but it won't do anything else. First year pullets usually lay through winter anyway.

Will they eat it? Sure. Is it nutritionally sound or good for them or will it benefit them more than layer pellets? No. Is it a good treat? Yes, if you're balancing it with more diverse and nutritionally dense snacks or only giving it as 10% of their diet.

Just because it's on youtube doesn't mean it's real. Look for sources.

It makes logical sense that a high carb food would produce more heat in digestion than a low carb food, but whether it’s a noticeable/useful difference you’d need to see some actual research on.

That being said, my flock gets a little corn now and then as a snack, and full size birds swallow it no problem.

I saw Becky's youtube as well. I'm a new chicken owner and after listening to her, it seemed limiting my chickens to bread, layer crumbs, and corn just didn't seem right to me. Just a gut feeling. I went with a vegetable layer feed and add some layer crumbs in the mix - but I'm wondering if I even need the layer crumbs. However, I do give a handful of whole corn, half piece of bread, and meal worms for snacks on occasion. :D

Attachments

• Veggie Layer mix.jpg
    Veggie Layer mix.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 2
  • layer crumbs.jpg
    layer crumbs.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 2
  • The girls.jpg
    The girls.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom