Whole flock eating eggs

I just went through this same thing myself, don't know if it was just 1 in my flock or all 9. They are on an all flock feed, oyster shell free-choice, mealworms for treats, so strong eggs. But over the winter, the egg eating started. I tried fake eggs, and I even tried the mustard filled egg. And guess what, it was eaten!!! My DH and I built roll out nest boxes on Saturday, and it's going well, just need to do some refinment (some eggs are cracking when the hit each other). I'd suggest roll out nest boxes.

Thanks for all your comments. In response to more info:

The flock has 130m2 to roam and its warm. The nest box is partially covered and filled with dust free wood shavings. It used to be completely covered in their coop but they took to pooping in it every night so i removed it and set it up elsewhere. They were laying perfectly for months before the egg eating started.

They are fed an organic layers pellet as well fresh food scraps. I give crushed, baked egg shells and cuttle fish as calcium supplement. I feed full rations of everything in the morning when i do my rounds and offer additional scraps throughout the day if i am on site.

With a couple of eaters that I have witnessed, they have laid and immediately started pecking behind themselves looking for the egg to eat...

I have tried the golf ball trick but not the mustard trick. I am also tempted to rebuild their nest box to a roll away system.

The flock has 130m2 to roam and its warm. The nest box is partially covered and filled with dust free wood shavings. It used to be completely covered in their coop but they took to pooping in it every night so i removed it and set it up elsewhere. They were laying perfectly for months before the egg eating started.
But how much room is on the coop where they roost at night?
Pooping in nests usually means not enough roost space.

Did the egg eating start after the nest change?

You say "it's warm" where are you located?

How old are these birds and how long have they been laying?

They are fed an organic layers pellet as well fresh food scraps. I give crushed, baked egg shells and cuttle fish as calcium supplement. I feed full rations of everything in the morning when i do my rounds and offer additional scraps throughout the day if i am on site.
What is the protein percentage in the layer feed?
How many scraps do they get...and what are they?
Treats/scraps can dilute the nutrition of the chicken ration.
They maybe craving the animal protein that is in the eggs.

With a couple of eaters that I have witnessed, they have laid and immediately started pecking behind themselves looking for the egg to eat...

I have tried the golf ball trick but not the mustard trick. I am also tempted to rebuild their nest box to a roll away system.
I's skip the mustard, usually just makes a different kind of mess to clean up. Roll out nests are definitely a solution if built right.

Back
Top Bottom