Whole flock gone in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LianndraPuffins, Feb 19, 2017.

1. LianndraPuffins

LianndraPuffins Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2015
    Just so sad, once a predator catches wind that the chickens are there they make short work of the whole flock. We had a beautiful roo and 6 lovely hens. Still not sure what got them or how. Work begins this week on rebuilding/securing the coop and run again. [​IMG] It's just so frustrating when you've had them for several months with no issues and within 2 weeks they're violently murdered.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Sorry to hear that.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I am sorry for your loss!! I gotta ask, Why or how did this keep happening for 2 weeks without their pen/coop being secured after the first time or for sure the second time one was taken??

4. LianndraPuffins

Oct 29, 2015
    It's a long, sad story but it started when I let them out to range and the door to the run blew shut so they didn't go in at night like they normally do. I rounded up as many as I could find in the dark (4 out of 7) and the next morning one was killed in the run. From then on we made changes, secured things, etc but each night whatever it was came back and found a new way in. We set traps, we have a steel door, galvanized metal mesh 2' around the run, predator lights, etc. but it wasn't enough. We feel awful and as I said are doing an overhaul to make sure there is no way in before getting any more.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you could post some pictures of your setup, maybe we could help you identify some weak spots.

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Its Sad, but it happens. Yes we will help point out weak area's if you want to post some pics. My door blew shut one evening and I had to round mine up after dark with a flash light but after about 30 minutes I found all of them---now I hook a bungee cord to the door holding it open when they are let out to free-range. I try to get there close to dark to close the door---some nights it is later. A secure coop at night is a Must when you are having problems----keep in mind that "chicken wire" will not hold out hardly anything except a chicken.

7. LianndraPuffins

Oct 29, 2015
    Thank you! I will add some photos this afternoon. We saw a tiny part of the hardware cloth pulled up on one of the vents - maybe 3/4" so that may have been how it got in but the damage to the chickens was indicative of a larger animal. Heads/throats in tact, chests ripped open/eaten. We suspected a raccoon but not sure.

8. superlukee

superlukee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    I'm so sorry:( *virtual hug*

9. LianndraPuffins

Oct 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  10. LianndraPuffins

Oct 29, 2015