Whole Flock Picks On One Chicken

XLoveChickensX

Chirping
Oct 8, 2015
Nebraska
Hey, recently all of my chickens have been targeting one of my birds. My whole flock is plenty of hens, and two roosters. The roosters have grown up together and have been in the same flock for a few years now. Yet one of them gets picked on- all the time. He's a smaller rooster, and his frenemy is a standard size. The smaller one has had a sorta tough life. I've noticed he gets bugs occasionally, and I use the Sevin dust to get rid of them. The little rooster's girlfriend died recently, on Thanksgiving morning this year. And the rooster has been way more sad looking since, and I worry for him. He seems to have trouble getting sleep at night, because when I hold him he normally falls asleep. All the birds who roost with him always seem to peck him and bite him until he's far away from them, yet they still go after him. I love this rooster, but I don't know what to do. I love all my birds, and it'd be hard to get rid of a few.
The little rooster has had these issues even before his lady passed away. I don't know if it's just the weather change, since it's been like this for a while before it's gotten colder out. Is there a way I can get the other birds to leave him alone, or am I going to have to end up keeping him away from them from now on? Please, I'd appreciate any suggestions/help!

*I apologize for any grammatical errors*

You may have to build him a separation pen in your coop to keep him safe. He could be unwell, or he could be just stressed from the loss of his hen. Often birds will attack an odd acting bird.

I currently have 3 older birds that needed separating because they are getting older and they get picked on. You may have to do the same. It could be just a temporary situation or a permanent one based on whether he improves when the weather warms up.

You should put them in pinless peepers and give him a brass beek :lau jk il that word i coined it w oriely back in the day :clap

You may have to build him a separation pen in your coop to keep him safe. He could be unwell, or he could be just stressed from the loss of his hen. Often birds will attack an odd acting bird.

I currently have 3 older birds that needed separating because they are getting older and they get picked on. You may have to do the same. It could be just a temporary situation or a permanent one based on whether he improves when the weather warms up.
Okay. He's been like this a lot lately, maybe for at least a year when I first noticed the behavior and him being picked on. But as time went by it seems to have gotten worse.

Okay. He's been like this a lot lately, maybe for at least a year when I first noticed the behavior and him being picked on. But as time went by it seems to have gotten worse.
Unfortunately that does happens. Generally it slowly gets worse as you are seeing. Do you know how old he is? Do you feed them a layer ration? Which can be hard on roosters in my experiences.

I feed my birds all flock feed, and he's at least 2-3 years old.
I would separate him out so he can get feed and water freely without fear and see how he does. Could be he's not getting enough to eat which can happen with those kept on the outskirts.

Often 2 roosters in a flock doesn't work out well as they only have each other to focus on. Better to keep one or more than 2. Hopefully he improves on his own, and you are able to release him later on. Keep him where he can be seen and interact through a fence to avoid problems releasing him later.

Back
Top Bottom