Whole Flock Sick!

shawana17

Hatching
Sep 20, 2016
I have a flock of 30 silkies who all have came down with a nasty respiratory infection (runny nose, sneezing, rattling, eye discharge). I have been dosing tylan 50 for almost 2 weeks with little to no improvement. Anyone have any suggestions on other non prescription meds?

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Can you take them to a vet?

Since they aren't responding to two weeks of antibiotic treatment, then whatever they have is most likely a virus. A vet, your state or and independent lab can perform some testing to tell you what contagious respiratory disease they have. This will give information on how to move forward and what course of treatment would be best.

Here's some info on common diseases in poultry:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Well they are all show silkies so I was breeding and selling.
If you are breeding and selling, then imho you need to have some testing done to see what you are dealing with.

Most respiratory disease make birds carriers of the disease, even if they do recover and show no symptoms. I'm sure you wouldn't want to further spread illness to someone else.

I agree with the others. If Tylan is not working, I would be thinking something viral or more insidious like mycoplasma. Swabs for infectious bronchitis, infectious laryngotracheitis, avian influenza, Newcastle, and mycoplasma can be done on a live bird. Just contact your state animal diagnostic lab and ask for instructions about how to submit samples. Sometimes they will be able to send a vet to you as well. If a bird dies, I would definitely try to send it for necropsy.

I've been giving the tylan orally so I will attempt at giving it by injection. I know if I contact the agency more than likely they will dispose of every chicken that I have. I had a friend who did the same thing and the agency workers who came just began euthanizing her birds without testing. Even if the bird never had contact with the sick birds. I'm not ready to risk that just yet.i have other birds who are seperated from my silkies and show no sign of any sickness.

Last edited:
I've been giving the tylan orally so I will attempt at giving it by injection. I know if I contact the agency more than likely they will dispose of every chicken that I have. I had a friend who did the same thing and the agency workers who came just began euthanizing her birds without testing. Even if the bird never had contact with the sick birds. I'm not ready to risk that just yet.i have other birds who are seperated from my silkies and show no sign of any sickness.
I'm sorry.

You can try injection to see if that helps. Cull one and send it for necropsy. I understand your not wanting to have testing since it may mean having all birds culled, but do you really want to breed birds that have a potentially contagious illness that can be passed on when you sell or show them.

Even if birds are not showing illness, they can still be carriers. Birds housed nearby can also contract or become carriers as well. Most illnesses are transmitted through mucous, feathers, dust, dander, clothing, shoes, etc. I hope as a responsible breeder, you won't sell any birds, hatching eggs or chicks until you have done some extensive research and reading about poultry illnesses, how they are transmitted and contracted. And consider implementing quarantine and bio-security measures if you haven't done so.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom