Whole foods?

All multigrain is (compared to white) is it contains flour made with something other than wheat. It has to be whole wheat or whole grain if you want to get more fiber out of it (though even with that, as with all things, you'll see the nutritional panel of different brands vary)

That said, if you're not used to eating whole wheat or whole grain breads, it's a way to ease yourself into the taste of it. Which is why I suggested it as a sandwich option, especially if whole wheat isn't offered. Not sure what Subway has.

Admittedly I don't eat a ton of bread but the stuff I usually buy is Dave's Killer Bread "21 Whole Grains and Seeds". Nutrition panel here: http://www.daveskillerbread.com/21-whole-grains-and-seeds

I linked my go-to bread just to give you an idea of how much "stuff" you can pack into bread, especially dietary fiber. Not saying my choice of bread is perfect, but I like the way it tastes and it makes great breadcrumbs too.
smile.png

I'm always a fan of buying local/regional when possible so if the brand you linked is one you like, then maybe try looking at the nutritional info between their options and try some that sound good until you find something you like that's also got more fiber (gotta say the Vermont Yoga sounds tasty).

Last edited:
I hadn't realized bread could have so much good stuff in it! It looks good lol

And yeah, I'm going to have to look around for more local breads and see which one I like best or has the best stuff haha

And yessss it does

All multigrain is (compared to white) is it contains flour made with something other than wheat.  It has to be whole wheat or whole grain if you want to get more fiber out of it (though even with that, as with all things, you'll see the nutritional panel of different brands vary)

That said, if you're not used to eating whole wheat or whole grain breads, it's a way to ease yourself into the taste of it.  Which is why I suggested it as a sandwich option, especially if whole wheat isn't offered.  Not sure what Subway has.

Admittedly I don't eat a ton of bread but the stuff I usually buy is Dave's Killer Bread "21 Whole Grains and Seeds".  Nutrition panel here: http://www.daveskillerbread.com/21-whole-grains-and-seeds

That bread looks delicious! I crave it so bad but I have to watch out for multigrain because I'm severely allergic to sunflower seeds :(

But the benefit if the omegas in that and flaxseed is so worth it..the good fats, those omegas ;)

I'm not sure if we have that bread here but I'll look for it or something similar. We do have Vermont Bread Co

http://www.vermontbread.com

Good stuff there, too! I love to make toast with honey and banana on it if it's multigrain. The honey soaks into the bread and the banana adds a nice texture.. Oh and sometimes I'll put peanut butter on it too... I'm hungry lol :p

Last edited:
From what I understand, for commercial flour, when they grind the wheat to make flour they need to remove the germ because that is the part that goes rancid. Unfortunately, it is also the nutritious part of the wheat berry. What is left is then refined with bleaching agents, maturing agents and preservatives after grinding. Enriched breads have vitamins and such added back to the flour to replace some of the nutrients that are lost during the refining of the flour.
This process makes the flour "shelf stable" so it doesn't go rancid before it is shipped, stocked on the store shelf, you buy it and cook with it.

I have a grinder and make my own flour occasionally (not as often as I would like). As a result, I have had the unfortunate experience of making bread with rancid flour... I ground the wheat and made a batch of bread and then put the left-over flour in a container in the pantry. Forgot all about it and let the flour sit in the cabinet for too long. I found it months later and proceeded to bake some Indian Fry bread with it. Well, the wild birds/mice seemed to like it.

Thanks for that info! It makes a lot more sense now but it's unfortunate they have to remove the nutritious part

And yeah, I would think rancid flour would taste horrible lol

KDog..Ive been away from my computer...which means away from BYC...I have not/refuse to be on BYC on my phone.

So...
I have not done squat in the last few weeks to lose any weight.
BUT guess what ...I HAVE lost weight!

I stopped...completely stopped buying c r a p ..junk food.....which means I can't eat it!! (this is perfect when you want it but can't find it in your kitchen!)

I so BAD wanted to cheat today and "Splurge" and get some type of fast food...but I "controlled" my urge and didn't!

How are your fish?
I wonder how much more I weighed back then.

I wonder how much more I weighed back then.
I’m sure not much! 😂🥰 I’m dying though that you said you don’t BYC on your phone 😂😭

I totally forgot about this thread! Kind of embarrassing 😂🙈 but there’s some really good stuff in here!! I might have to read through it again. ❤️

Okay so I've been trying to eat healthier for a while (okay, haven't really been trying, simply want to eat healthier) but it doesn't seem to be working. It's like too daunting and hard to start and I am too addicted to sugar...

SO.

I came up with this great new idea today...

Maybe I could simply try eating only whole foods for a week?

Would that be harder? Finding and eating enough variety of whole foods and especially no processed foods at all might be hard.. maybe start just less processed foods?

But my diet has gotten progressively worse. I've eaten a lot of tortilla chips and ice cream lately and fast food. Lots of worst of the worst type stuff.

But enough rambling and complaining about my diet.

I guess what I would like to know are what are some examples of whole foods besides the common ones? And what are some good recipes?

Because all I can think of is like salads and peppers, tomatoes, carrots, etc., basically just the veggies & fruits they sell at the grocery store and that gets boring... are there any other foods I'm missing here? Or even just recipes to use said boring foods so they are not boring. Or perhaps I shouldn't be buying from the grocery store either?

But let's just work on healthier for now and I can find a farm stand later lol

I did manage to eat a salad today though and buy lots of kale, spinach, blueberries, and strawberries.

But I want more I guess.

Like for example, can you make your own pasta sauce? Obviously pasta is processed as are a lot of good grains so I guess it might not be possible to go 100% not processed? But I at least want a start.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rather rambly and unsure nature of this.

But the basic premise is PLEASE HELP ME EAT HEALTHIER AND ALSO FIND WAYS TO MAKE HEALTHY TASTY AND NOT BORING.
Okay so I've been trying to eat healthier for a while (okay, haven't really been trying, simply want to eat healthier) but it doesn't seem to be working. It's like too daunting and hard to start and I am too addicted to sugar...

SO.

I came up with this great new idea today...

Maybe I could simply try eating only whole foods for a week?

Would that be harder? Finding and eating enough variety of whole foods and especially no processed foods at all might be hard.. maybe start just less processed foods?

But my diet has gotten progressively worse. I've eaten a lot of tortilla chips and ice cream lately and fast food. Lots of worst of the worst type stuff.

But enough rambling and complaining about my diet.

I guess what I would like to know are what are some examples of whole foods besides the common ones? And what are some good recipes?

Because all I can think of is like salads and peppers, tomatoes, carrots, etc., basically just the veggies & fruits they sell at the grocery store and that gets boring... are there any other foods I'm missing here? Or even just recipes to use said boring foods so they are not boring. Or perhaps I shouldn't be buying from the grocery store either?

But let's just work on healthier for now and I can find a farm stand later lol

I did manage to eat a salad today though and buy lots of kale, spinach, blueberries, and strawberries.

But I want more I guess.

Like for example, can you make your own pasta sauce? Obviously pasta is processed as are a lot of good grains so I guess it might not be possible to go 100% not processed? But I at least want a start.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rather rambly and unsure nature of this.

But the basic premise is PLEASE HELP ME EAT HEALTHIER AND ALSO FIND WAYS TO MAKE HEALTHY TASTY AND NOT BORING.
A nutritionist gave me two pieces of advice that I have tried to follow. One, moderation in all things. Two, don't eat anything your grandmother would not recognize as food.

Back
Top Bottom