Whole pen of chickens acting lethargic. Please help!!!

Since you saw bubbles in some eyes with a bit of swelling, and they are improved with Denagard, it sounds like there was an outbreak of MG symptoms, possibly from the flooding and hot weather. Stress can bring out symptoms, and MG can cause lethargy and decreased activity. Once one has it, consider the rest of the flock carriers. Some may get symptoms while some may not.

I just removed the antibiotic water and replaced it with fresh, cold water with hydro-hen vitamins/electrolytes and B12. Everyone drank like they hadn't seen water in days and after 30 minutes everyone seems a lot perkier. Still have some pale combs, but I'll watch them closely for a couple of days to see if there are still symptoms. I am definitely changing their bedding too though, because I'm thinking that might be a contributing factor. I opened the gate to the front yard and they all rushed out like they wanted THE HELL out of that pen. These birds are typically very cautious going out into the front yard.

Last edited:
Since you saw bubbles in some eyes with a bit of swelling, and they are improved with Denagard, it sounds like there was an outbreak of MG symptoms, possibly from the flooding and hot weather. Stress can bring out symptoms, and MG can cause lethargy and decreased activity. Once one has it, consider the rest of the flock carriers. Some may get symptoms while some may not.
Isn't it strange, though, that they only started acting lethargic several days into antibiotic treatment?

I should also mention that it wasn't the Denagard that made the swelling and bubbles go away. I was giving each bird with symptoms VetRx and a drop of oregano oil in their beaks twice a day for 2 days while I was waiting for the antibiotics to come in the mail. The bubbles and swelling had been gone for a full day before I started them on antibiotics. It seemed like MG to me, so I treated the whole flock even though the symptoms had been gone for 24 hours plus by the time the antibiotics arrived.

People say that Denagard tastes very bad, and some do flavor it. I wonder if they drank well once the regular water was back? Testing is the only way to get a diagnosis of MG. It is a common illness in some backyard flocks and in some wild birds. Once it is in your flock, it is there until the last bird passes away. Denagard is good to help control outbreaks. Mycoplasma only lasts about 3 days in the environment once chickens are all gone. It doesn’t remain in the environment.

People say that Denagard tastes very bad, and some do flavor it. I wonder if they drank well once the regular water was back? Testing is the only way to get a diagnosis of MG. It is a common illness in some backyard flocks and in some wild birds. Once it is in your flock, it is there until the last bird passes away. Denagard is good to help control outbreaks. Mycoplasma only lasts about 3 days in the environment once chickens are all gone. It doesn’t remain in the environment.
I did flavor it, but I think they still weren't drinking enough. The chicks didn't seem to mind it, but the older birds didn't seem to drink much. Only the bare minimum to keep them alive.

This morning there are still lethargic birds, unsteady on their feet with ruffled feathers, pale collapsed combs, many with diarrhea, most drinking A LOT of water. They seemed to perk up a little yesterday after I gave them water WITHOUT denagard but this morning they're back to looking sickly. I did 5 days of the Denagard and if anything these birds seem worse for it. 😕 So what now???

I know you already ran a course of CORID a while back, but it might be worth dosing again in case it ends up being cocciddiosis. The ruffled feathers, lethargy and diarrhea are pointing that way, and it can have a long incubation time.
I will do just that! It's supposed to be in the triple digits here in northern AZ this week...I really hope they pull through this. 😔

Back
Top Bottom