Whoops, nasty brooder=ruined eggs?

Stormhorse23

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Ok, well my three ducklings hatched and two are still drying off in the brooder. I did not assist but there is still blood all over the brooder, all over the chicken eggs I have in there...Is is okay to clean the eggs? How do I clean the brooder?

You need to leave it alone until all have hatched then wash it with anti bacterial dish soap and set in the sun all day to dry and kill anything left over.

Quote:
The chicken eggs have only been in there a week....yuck. I don't know if I can stand it for another 2! And what about bacteria that could hurt them? If I kept them under a heat light for only a few minutes, would it be possible to quickly go over the brooder with a wash cloth, just to get the blood off of everything?

You have to leave them alone. This is the very reason people have an incubator AND a brooder. I have 2 incubator. On day 19 when you stop turning them, put them in the second incubator. You will just have to deal with it for now
smile.png

I don't think taking the eggs out and cleaning is a good idea, but it might be better than leaving them in the mess for another two weeks. In that moist humid enviroment I can't imagine that it isn't going to get pretty smelly and nasty, and then you'll end up with no chicks anyway.

Are you talking about a incubator, the hatcher or a brooder box that you have put the ducklings in? Hatcher is a second incubator to put eggs in after 18 days for the hatch to start, a brooder box it what you put the chicks or ducklings in after they have hatched...

I had luck last year with 2 different hatch dates in one incubator. Once the first set was done I warmed up a small cooler with boiling water. Dumped the water and put the eggs that still had 10 or so days to go in the cooler and quick cleaned the incubator and put them back. Can't say that it did any harm.

Back
Top Bottom