"who's building an incubator"

Well, 98.8 to 100.4 averages to 99 inside of the egg. You're incubator is way better than most of the stryo foam incubators on the market. I think that what you have is good.
If you are trying for better temperatures I would go ahead and put the light fixture just a little closer to the thermostat.
I don't use a water wiggler, but when you hear about how a lot of peoples incubators. Stay right at 99.5 degrees, it is usually because they are using a water wiggler. The air temperature is bound to fluctuate, but an egg has mass on its side. An eggs mass retains lost heat in the air, or if it has gotten too high, it doesn't usually make a difference.

(I didn't say that there was anything wrong with using a water wiggler, but that a water wiggler shows the average temperature.)

I recommend buying a water wiggler, and seeing what your temperature is then.

Well, 98.8 to 100.4 averages to 99 inside of the egg. You're incubator is way better than most of the stryo foam incubators on the market. I think that what you have is good.
If you are trying for better temperatures I would go ahead and put the light fixture just a little closer to the thermostat.
I don't use a water wiggler, but when you hear about how a lot of peoples incubators. Stay right at 99.5 degrees, it is usually because they are using a water wiggler. The air temperature is bound to fluctuate, but an egg has mass on its side. An eggs mass retains lost heat in the air, or if it has gotten too high, it doesn't usually make a difference.

(I didn't say that there was anything wrong with using a water wiggler, but that a water wiggler shows the average temperature.)

I recommend buying a water wiggler, and seeing what your temperature is then.

i feel better then it seems to cycle on and off quite a bit and what you just said makes me feel better the maiden batch is in now, so we will see how it goes

i even have my wife texting me the temps and humidity lol

Last edited:
now its day 2 and my humiduty has rose to 68.

It is ok... as long as it does not stay that high you are ok. What kinda water system do you have? Sponges or anything? you may want to take out sponges or towels to keep it lower. Surface area is what makes humidity high so the smaller area of water the lower you humidity.

i have a small mason jar with a lil water in it
Have you calibrated the hygrometer? You can do that easy... a small thing with lots of salt and a little water. Enough to cover the salt and a tad more. Put that in a gal ziplock bag with your hygrometer and it SHOULD read 75 what ever the difference is is how much off your Hygrometer is so either add or subtract that from your reading and that is your real reading. takes about 8 hrs for a good reading at room temp with no drafts, hot or cold spots.

ok i shoulda known that, its how i set my cigar humidor. ill do it and compare it to my digital hygrometer. I have also been told it may be the rain we have been getting too. Thanks for the help

I am thinking of building yet another incubator, but this time I was thinking of building a cabinet style one with a perminate egg turning tray with a seperate section with a hatching tray each with seperate thermostats and such. Any ideas or cabinets that you have built that I could steal some ideas from? Pic's would be great.

I am thinking of building yet another incubator, but this time I was thinking of building a cabinet style one with a perminate egg turning tray with a seperate section with a hatching tray each with seperate thermostats and such. Any ideas or cabinets that you have built that I could steal some ideas from? Pic's would be great.

So you are going to make a wooden box, that it divided, making one an incubator, and one a hatcher?

I really don't think that is necessary. If that is what you are planning to do? I have a cabinet incubator I am pretty sure I have already posted pictures of it on this thread. Don't use the water heater thermostat in the cabinet incubator though, the water heater thermostat cannot really handle the volume of that kind of incubator.

I built one out of a mini fridge, I am looking at building one to have two trays on top for egg turners and one compartment below to set up just to hatch the eggs in. My mini fridge incubator works absolutely great. I need / want a project as I am not a TV watcher and do not have idle hands. I have built incubators with hot water heater thermostats they work well but not great. I have two digital thermostats with temperature probes that I will use for this project.

Back
Top Bottom