Who's Hatching in Dec. 2011 ?

Well I sure have chickies hatching in December! I had my first surprise chick yesterday.
big_smile.png

As for when they're due, who knows! I had sneaky broodies and I have eggs in various stages of development in a bunch of nests. I have around 2 or 3 likely looking broodies and at least 5 serious ones.
th.gif

Just hoping for the best, I've set up the brooder and the 'bator to deal with early chicks and abandoned eggs. Figure it's a good thing chickens can't count, I may end up just giving chicks in batches to the broodies so they all have some fairly close in age. I was expecting chicks over a week or so but I hadn't expected any for at least a few more days so it's going to be a very interesting next few weeks!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Finally, one chickie has hatched !

I heard some cheeping noises last night and this morning. My son said that there was a pip in the egg too. Then later today we heard a lot of cheeping and knew that it had hatched !

It is drying off in the incubator a little more, waiting until after lunch when he is scheduled to turn the eggs.

The heat lamp and day old bin is mostly ready. He'll still need to get shallow lids for the day old food and water trays.

The chickie will be so much cuter tomorrow after it has dried off.

Maybe I'll take a chickie video tonight and definitely tomorrow.

If you want to see pics, check out our website on the Purebred Show Chickens page.

I'll probably post the video with the other chicken videos.

Check it out !

I candled today and things are not looking promising
sad.png
Of 13, only one showed good veining, and I'm pretty sure 2 had blood rings. I also saw a couple that had little float-y bits in them?? No obvious veins, though. Sigh... I hope I get at least 2 from this lot... Oh, and its day 6, so I thought I should definitely see more, however I did have some wonky temperature fluctuations, so maybe they're just a little delayed.
fl.gif

Candled my 5 eggs under broody on day 7 and couldn't see much. Did it again on day 10 and wow the difference. I can even see movment!!!
2 fresh egg developing
1 with unknown fertility noda (broke it open and it was unfertile)
1 of the 2 fridge eggs (were in fridge for 1-3 weeks) is developed

3 out of 5 eggs looking great!!! So excited
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
celebrate.gif
!!!! First babies hatched here. Always bought young chicks or adults before.....
These are for pets for the neighbor and will not be show quality or anything just doin it for fun and hopin to get 2-3 hens for them
smile.png

We have 2 chickies now ! Hopefully 3 by tomorrow (it's cheeping and pipping).

Pics are up on my website (see under Purebred Show Chickens).

Will try and take a video tomorrow too ! (will also post it on my website)

Sorry, you'll have to visit there to see !

~Lisa

Back
Top Bottom