Who's Hatching in Dec. 2011 ?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Thanks, just checked it out ! That was fun to see Marans chickies. We raise Copper Black Marans too. Sometimes we get some blue Marans too (from the Copper Blue Splash father).

Don't recognize the other chickies.

I'm going to capture some video of our 2 possibly 3 newest chickies: little Black-Breasted Red Old English game bantams.

You should check out our website sometime when you get a chance. There's a lot more than just chickens on there !

Thanks again !

Can't wait to show my kids tomorrow. They are home-schooled and will LOVE your live chickie webcam ! Wish we had one up !

What grade kids are you teaching ?

~Lisa

Quote:
That's a lot of chickies !

What kind are they again ?

I miss little yellow chickies !

Ours hatched a day early too (we hatch at 102 degrees Fahrenheit, although I've noticed my son leaving the thermometer at the bottom of the incubator floor instead of on top of the eggs and it read 100 degrees). We'll he's in charge of hatching, so...so far so good. Hope having the heat lamp on in the same room as the incubator doesn't cause the temp. in the incubator to increase. I'll have to remind him to keep an eye on the temp. The room is always warmer with the heat lamp on.

Are you chickies inside or outside ? I noticed the sheet covering around the cage. Was just wondering....

Thanks,
Lisa

Expecting a Christmas hatch!!! Set 17 LF White Orpington eggs in our home-made Omaha Steak bator. They should hatch by Christmas day. Hatching chicks is like Christmas any day of the year, so I thought this would be double fun. Will be setting 12 RIR eggs for a News Years Eve hatch. Happy hatching everyone!
big_smile.png

We still have just 3 chickies (almost a week old now).

2 Ameraucana eggs are pipping. Hopefully they will hatch very soon ! Can't wait to see a new Ameraucana chickie color !

We have 40 eggs in the incubator.

Today was the last day to collect eggs from a non-standard colored pair of bantam Ameraucanas. We just paired another 2 (standard colored - Wheaten). In 1 month, we'll start collecting their eggs.

We will track the development of colors from chickie to adult, under the parent crossing (each pair will have it's own web page to display their chickies).

My 12.5 yr. old son is starting to take his first steps in getting a new Ameraucana color into the standard. (1. create new Amerauanca color)

What's everyone else up to who's hatching ?

Looking good for all 3 eggs under broody.

Just candled them 2 nights ago and they are mostly dark now but lots of movement. I expect them to start hatching between tomorrow and saturday. 2 of the eggs are ahead by 2-3 days.

tomorrow I setup the rabbit cage in the coop for her and babies and move her and the nest in at night. Poor thing pluked her belly and its supposed to be in the low 20 to highs barely above 40 for the nest few days. She seemed to be cozy and warm on the nest so I think she will be fine.

Other than higher protein levels has any1 tried raising babies on broiler starter that were not intended for food?
Just wondering cause I have a newer half bag of broiler starter crumbles I'm gona use at leased to begin with for chick food for the silkie chicks. I don't imagine it being harmful for them???

My Silkies hatched yesterday on my 29th wedding anniversary. I have Miss Tulay taking care of the babies. She is a wonderful mama.
21930_tulays_adoption_016.jpg

21930_tulays_adoption_020.jpg

Quote:
Aw, they are cute !

What are the marbles in the water for ? To prevent little chickies from drowning ?

We now have 6 chickies ! And 39 eggs in the incubator.

So excited about new Ameraucana colors, but can't tell yet as chickies. Will be fun to track chickies as they grow into chickens (like comparing baby pics to the adult).

Wondering if the difference in chickie colors of the BB Red OEG is related to sex.

So glad my 12.5 yr. old son is doing a great job raising the chickies. He thinks they have imprinted on him. They cry when he leaves them.

Time to make tall legs for the wire cage to put in a support tray underneath for newspaper (easier cleaning than lifting the whole heavy cage off the garbage bag and a layer of hay). I do have one more large bin to move chickies into. So, 3 bins with hay, all near the heat lamp, indoors.

I guess I have a little more time. Eventually, they do perch on the edges of the bin and fly out of the bins !!

How do all of you handle chickie rearing after a few weeks until they grow big enough (2 months) to move outside to the pens ?

Back
Top Bottom