Who's Incubating in Nov. 2011 ?

Setting 16-20 BR eggs tonight, depending on how many the girls lay today. Have 16 week-old chicks in the brooder that will be ready to go into the intermediate coop when these hatch!

Quote:
For anyone that has raised from babies before, I recommend trying incubation, especially if you have a local source of fertile eggs. For a beginner, I'd stay away from shipped eggs unless you have a good quality incubator.
If you have a crappy one like I started with and there was failure you wouldn't know where to point the finger.
Even if you have broodies, it's good to have a way to incubate as a backup plan. Sometimes they give up or some eggs got volunteered by other hens during the incubation and you can take the later eggs when she gives up and put them in lockdown.

I didnt buy the eggs these are my own..I have a pair of muscovys and a pair of pekins...so I assume they are fertile..but not 100% sure....it has been getting in the 50s here during the day, muscoy mama and papa have been sitting on the eggs together or taking turns..I have not seen the eggs unattended for manys days now. Have a heat lamp just a few feet above the nest... so if they have been sitting on them since around the middle of october when can i expect to see babies? Thats if they are fertile eggs...is there a way to tell if the chicks are growing inside? I can go buy an incubator today if need be...

Quote:
Correct!
smile.png

Muscovys take around 35-37 days
Domestic ducks take around 28-30 days
And bantam duck (East Indies, Calls, Mini Appleyards, Aussie Spotted, and Silky's) take around 26-28 days.

Quote:
That's cool that you can build your own incubator !!

What's a Black Penedesencas ? (a chicken ?)

Our next project is running electricity out to our goat barn ! Next weekend's project (this weekend was a chicken show !).

Talk to you later,

Quote:
With ours, we are separating the "parents" by time. Each month, one will lay and we'll collect the eggs for that month. The next month, the new pair will be in the pen, isolated for a month, and then we'll take the eggs. So the chickies should be at least a couple months apart, easy to tell from which parents. I'm also going to try and track the color of the chickie and follow that chick's development (matching growing chick pic to day old chick pic).

All on the website ! Each page for each parent. Why not ?

Thanks,

Quote:
Aw, that's awful !

Well, at least your hen is still alive and can lay more eggs for you.

I didn't know you could still incubate them after they have been in the fridge ?

Back
Top Bottom