Who's my Mom & Dad ??? 1 week old chicks

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I have 5 chicks that hatched last Friday, 3 of them hatched out of Black Orp/Maran eggs and 2 hatched out of black Ameraucana eggs. I have 2 roosters, a Black Copper Maran roo and a Black Ameraucana roo. I am trying to figure out which ones are from which eggs and who the daddies are. What do you think??

DSC_5189.jpg

Chick 1 - I am thinking this is from the Ameraucana egg and maybe the Ameraucana roo??

DSC_5192.jpg

Chick 2 - I think this one is part Ameraucana also

DSC_5193.jpg

Chick 3 - I know this one came out of a brown egg, and I am guessing the daddy is the BCM roo. I am fairly sure this little one is a cockerel also.

DSC_5197.jpg

Chick 4 - Straight comb on this one, but does it also have muffs?? Is this one part Ameraucana??

DSC_5203.jpg

Chick 5 - I am guessing this one is part Ameraucana because of it's comb.

DSC_5214.jpg

Lily - Black / Lavender Split Ameraucana Hen (Mom to 2 of them)

DSC_5209.jpg

Louie - BC Maran Roo (Dad to some)

DSC_5206.jpg

Leroy - Black / Lavender Split Ameraucana roo (Dad to some ??) ((He does have some gold leakage on him))

If it has chippy-cheeks, I vote Ameracauna.

If it has pea comb, I vote Ameracauna.

NONE of those look like purebred Ameraucana chicks. If you're getting single combed (Marans in there) chicks with clean legs, that means that the muff/bearded ones there are Olive Eggers, thus the black copper parent doesn't have much leg feathering if any, and did not pass it on to the offspring.

Purebred Ameraucanas will have much bigger beard/muffs than that. . . Those are clearly half-bearded. This here is what a pure Ameraucana chick would look like -

bbs3.jpg

So it looks like the Ameraucana isn't successfully adding his seed to the bunch.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom