Who's your favorite Bible Teacher and Christian Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Could not agree more. I've been driven away by people like this so many times. I'm currently recovering from one such experience and it is such a shame. Just when I thought I might find a connection with christianity, a few narrow minded people drove me away and I took comfort once again with science. What I've found is that it's not easy to find a person willing to explain things without becoming defensive about what they believe when a question they don't agree with is asked.

There was a pastor my christian fellowship bought some DVDs of and showed at some of the more recent meetings. He was excellent, but I'm not sure what his name was. He was interesting and didn't make nonbelievers feel like their beliefs were being mocked and made fun of.

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your hurt. There is so so much I could say to just the few sentences you wrote. Suffice it for now to say this, one day we will all stand before Jesus Christ and give an account for our lives. When that day happens there is ONLY ONE thing that will matter and that is what we did with Jesus and our obedience to His commands to follow Him.

No sin, no disobedience, no rebellion will be excused - and that means that it doesn't matter one iota what someone else did to us but rather we will have to answer as to whether we did or did not do something that Christ called us to do solely because He said so and we loved Him that much to do so.

When everything is boiled down to its purest form, every decision, every act, and all life in general all comes down to the 1st and 2nd Commandments. God is God and we are not. And the 2nd, either we are created in God's image or we create a god in our image and as thus play God.

Only by surrendering to Jesus Christ as Lord & Master (thereby choosing to obey Him) can we be saved and spend eternity with Him. Therefore, it is important for you to know that the Bible simply does not saying a wife can leave or divorce her husband for whipping a 7 month old. We don't even have to get into whether it whipping a 7 month old is right or wrong, or what "whipping" means, or any such thing. The fact is the Bible simply does not authorize separation or divorce for such a reason. So what now? Well, what's done is done. And what's done often can't be undone. But what can be done is for one to agree with God (confession) and turn from it (repent) and ask for forgiveness. Doing that restores the fellowship with God and gets you back into a right relationship with God.

I would also encourage you to meditate on Ephesians 4:30-32 "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."

Holding on to resentment and bitterness only serves to make you resentful and bitter and you wind up being the one who is most hurt. Let it go and enjoy the Christian life to its fullest.

God Bless,

Quote:
Could not agree more. I've been driven away by people like this so many times. I'm currently recovering from one such experience and it is such a shame. Just when I thought I might find a connection with christianity, a few narrow minded people drove me away and I took comfort once again with science. What I've found is that it's not easy to find a person willing to explain things without becoming defensive about what they believe when a question they don't agree with is asked.

There was a pastor my christian fellowship bought some DVDs of and showed at some of the more recent meetings. He was excellent, but I'm not sure what his name was. He was interesting and didn't make nonbelievers feel like their beliefs were being mocked and made fun of.

CD, our experiences are very similar. I too was forced to make my own relationship with God outside of the church. You amaze me once again with your maturity.
clap.gif

Quote:

CD, our experiences are very similar. I too was forced to make my own relationship with God outside of the church. You amaze me once again with your maturity.
clap.gif

Awww!
images
You make me blush!

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone! Some people look at me like I have five heads when I tell them I believe in God but not the same way they do. I think eventually I'll be able to find a path that I can believe in without changing many of my already established beliefs about the way the world works. However, I am not one to jump into something without first questioning what it is I am jumping into! LOL

Last edited:
Quote:

clap.gif

I am really sorry guys that you have been driven away! Sometimes, we forget that we are just people, too. I really feel that I am no better than another at all -- saved or not. My mom gave me an unintended outlook on being a Christian -- to not go about it like her! The blood of Jesus runs deep red with the sins I have committed in my life -- just as any other human being on this earth. I truly, truly believe this with all my heart. And take it into consideration at all times. Do I have my opinions on what is right and what is wrong -- yes! If I am talking with someone am I afraid to say my beliefs -- no, but it has to be done with grace and love.

My mom is absolutely and totally forgiven by me. There was so much hurt and a very, very long story. I could not have forgiven her if it was not for God in my life. It does not mean that I go ahead and let my guard down because she is not well mentally. I will say that my brothers and sisters have not fared as well as I have -- along with many others she left in her wake.

Quote:

ChikeeMomma, I have never met your Mom (most likely) so I can't speak to her motives as to why she "insisted on letting anyone in her path know why there were not a good Christian" but have you ever considered that maybe she had the gift of Prophecy? That does not mean she had visions of the future but rather that she was a "forthteller". Telling or "speaking forth" the mind of God. Christians with the gift of Prophecy have a keen ability to point out the sin in others lives - a gift that is not one of the more popular ones. They often have a great burden over the sinful condition of the world around them and because of that, they take every opportunity to proclaim that one must repent. This burden for the lost is not the same as those who do not have this specific gift. It is much greater, if you will, for those who have this specific gift.

Again, I do not know if your Mom had the gift of Prophecy or not. But, what I do know is this, IF she did have that gift then you are holding something against her that was given to her by the Holy Spirit. Just think about that. How do you know that what she did was not out of love and because "she felt that she was a much better Christian than most people"? Did she tell you that was the reason she did such things? If not, then only God can judge a person's heart and if one does not openly proclaim why they do something then only God knows one's true motives. How will you feel when you stand before Jesus and find out that the reason she did what she did was because of a burden she felt from the gift that was given her by the Holy Spirit?????

And while you were critical of your mother, were you obeying God by honoring her? Especially during those 12 years?

Chickerdoodle13, I'm not sure where to even start? First, for those of us who are truly saved, nothing can separate us or drive us away from Jesus Christ and back toward science. Secondly, I can't help but wonder if you are saved then how is your relationship with God given the fact that the Holy Spirit was given to us to convict us of our sin in order that we might repent and turn back to God. The Holy Spirit is not just our "Helper" and our "Comforter" but He is the one who convicts us of our sin and tells us when we have strayed. In fact, if it were not for the Holy Spirit bringing us to a point where we came to understand we are a lost sinner in need of a savior, none of us would have ever gotten saved.

For those of us who are truly saved, we WANT someone to let us know if we are sinning. Why? Because the last thing we want to do is to sin against our Heavenly Father and our Lord who died for us. I would ask you this question.... anytime someone lashes out at one who confronts them on their sin, where is that coming from? I can tell you, every single time without exception that I've witnessed to an Unbeliever, they will inevitably get around to, "Well, you Christians are a bunch of hypocrites anyways. You're no better than me. I saw so and so who goes to church every Sunday and he or she did this or that...." blah , blah, blah. Like when they stand before Jesus that's gonna make any difference whatsoever. The true Christian is heart-broken over their sin and ache to be rid of it. Being confronted about their sin is something they know is a blessing!

Third, your "connection" should not be with "christianity" but rather with Jesus Christ. Christianity is not about Religion but rather about Relationship. It is about a personal relationship with God Himself through Jesus Christ.

To say, "a few narrow minded people drove me away and I took comfort once again with science" begs the question, "Just what did these 'few narrow minded people' say or do"? Did they tell you that Jesus is THE way, THE truth, and THE life? Did they say that Jesus is the ONLY way? That's may sound narrow minded to many but I'm in that camp and it is the truth. Many are "driven away" by just such a narrow mindedness. Your "comfort" is misguided. The Holy Spirit is the Comforter and the greatest comfort ever is knowing the assurance of salvation through Jesus Christ and the contentment of being a true Child of God.

I would agree with you that "it's not easy to find a person willing to explain things without becoming defensive about what they believe when a question they don't agree with is asked." Unfortunately, there are many in The Church - both the visible and the invisible - that simply don't know why they believe what they do. Therefore, when questioned about it, they get defensive rather than humbly admitting they just hadn't thought something thru. I would like to think that I am not one of those. Feel free to ask me anything.

I also agree that there is no need to mock or make fun of an Unbelievers beliefs. That's not to say I don't think they should be confronted when they are wrong but thier is no need, nor should there be a place for, mocking and ridiculing. On either side of that table. I have experienced first hand many vile, vehement, ridiculing, demeaning, name calling, mockery, and just outright attacks from Unbelievers who frankly are adamant that anyone who believes in any kind of a God, or that Jesus is the ONLY way, is nothing short of a stupid idiot.

Having said that, one cannot debate someone into the Kingdom of Heaven. But we should "always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect" (1st Peter 3:15).

God Bless,

ChikeeMomma, trust me when I say that I would not be alive today if not for the intervention of God, but I had to find my own path not one dictated by the judgements of others. I now live a life of joy and acceptance. I am a happy and blessed man.

Quote:
I am really happy for you! : ) I am just really sorry that people had treated you that way. I know from experience, how scarring it is to a person when someone, who is so far from true Godly perfection (because who is?) makes you feel less than human.

Quote:
While the Bible does not explicitly say that I would agree wholeheartedly with you that the principal is there. Both of them. And it does mean EVERYONE. However, you and I may disagree on what "love" is.

Anyone who accepts, tolerates, condones sinful behavior and does not let the person engaged in such know, they are NOT loving them. The wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). And those who practice sin will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven (Matt. 7:21-23 and "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." (1Cor 6:9-10)

You can't tell me that you are loving someone when you don't care enough about them to tell them that what they are doing is leading them to eternity in Hell where they will be tormented for all of eternity. If you truly love someone you would do everything you could to help them and not do anything to encourage them in their sinful behavior. Silence is deadly. And so is acceptance, denial, or fear of being perceived as "judgmental". Love is truly doing what's best for the other person whether they want it or not.

That's what Jesus did for us. He died for us while we were yet sinners and an enemy of God. Not one of us would have asked him to die for us. We love Him because He first loved us. And once we understand that and become truly saved, the last thing in the world we want to do is disobey God and sin against Him. That is the mark of a true Believer.

And please know I'm not trying to beat up or pick on Joel Osteen but I disagree that he is doing what God commanded him to do. Joel Osteen is a pastor and the Bible give clear instructions on the responsibilities of a pastor. The Bible also has some of the sternest warnings and judgments against those "shepherds" who failed the flock. We are told to go forth and preach the Gospel to all men and to make disciples of all men. We aren't commanded to make some happy place for people to come to and get their "feel good fix" for the week. Jesus never did that and neither should we. That is not "love".

Btw, thanks for the info on Jon and Greg. I thoroughly enjoyed Jon's exhaustive teachings on Revelation.

God Bless,

I hope you can find them on your Calvary station up there. Sometimes there are different shows in those time slots, major disappointments when that happens.

I agree with the rest of your post as well. Except that we don't know of any private conversation he may have had or plans to in the future.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom