Whose skull is this?

I’m pretty sure my dog killed it and ate it because I don’t know why else a skull of a carnivore would be present in my backyard close to my chicken pen.

it’s wrapped in a net. My dog tends to hide her bones in hay and any net I have laying on the floor (I know I really should pick up a bit).

Any ideas what animal skull this belongs to?

I don’t see any fur or other bones in my yard, but she could have left it out in a field and only brought back that head.

I just remembered that she did lose her collar a while ago, but I figured it got stuck on a fence since she likes crawling under them. Guess I’ll drive around to see if I see anything.
You can Google "animal skull identification" and see lots and lots of skull photos to compare what you have to. We have used this on the ranch to figure out what we have lurking out there in the wilderness.

You can Google "animal skull identification and compare your skull to the photos that will come up. We have done this with bones/skulls we have found all over our ranch and it works great.

I’m pretty sure my dog killed it and ate it because I don’t know why else a skull of a carnivore would be present in my backyard close to my chicken pen.

it’s wrapped in a net. My dog tends to hide her bones in hay and any net I have laying on the floor (I know I really should pick up a bit).

Any ideas what animal skull this belongs to?

I don’t see any fur or other bones in my yard, but she could have left it out in a field and only brought back that head.

I just remembered that she did lose her collar a while ago, but I figured it got stuck on a fence since she likes crawling under them. Guess I’ll drive around to see if I see anything.
Could it be a wild pig?

This is in no way, shape, or form a pigs skull. Those are 100% carnivorous teeth and from a canine. Likely a domestic dog. The anatomy of pigs teeth and jaw line are entirely different. Pig teeth are much straighter, flatter, and closer together. Almost in a flat line from front to back, both horizontally and vertically. Better for chewing and grinding. They are also square shaped and rarely curve from the premolars to the molars. Carnivorous canines teeth obviously will be sharper, more gapped, ridged, and triangular or oval in shape. Curved both around and behind the premolars and molars. Better for gripping, ripping, and piercing. This is a canine skull.
Looks lot more like pig skull in this article than dog skull. But of course, dog skulls come in many different shapes, and pigs can vary bit as well.
pig skull

No. Pig shape shaped skull or not (looks pigish because the eye socket bones are broken), there is no mistaking teeth anatomy.
The molars and premolars look far too rounded to be dog, unless they are worn down. Could have been an old dog
blog_0217_02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom