Why All The "Junk"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I recycled old carpet to insulate my dog kennel coop. It isn't the classiest piece of yard art to look at, but my chicks are toasty and happy.
tongue.png
I don't care if people think it is ugly. That is their problem, not mine. I don't have chickens for the enjoyment and compliments of my neighbors, and those neighbors who are kind, get free eggs
wink.png

Gosh I wish my hubby would let me use what we had, but it just didn't work for us. We did t have enough of what we needed, but I have slowly started using what we have. I built a coop for a seperate kennel we have, also built nesting boxes, cost was my time! Nothing to be ashamed of reusing to reduce the waste! As they taught my kids in pre-k Reduse, Reuse, Recycle!

I hope you are kidding, why would you go buy all new materials, when there is plenty of used good stuff to use all over the place?
LAZINESS...WASTFULNESS......?????????????????
I just don't get people that are like that.
Plus I am poor, so I have to find a way to do other things.
I just got a $1000.00 shed off of craigslist for $100.00 last week that I am making into my coop.
If you have so much money to waste, please send to me. Struggling to even get christmas gifts this year.

Quote:
VERY well said!
thumbsup.gif

I totally agree with turbodog.

I am one of those people that you are talking about and I always will "tout" the fact that I recycle materials. It's what I do. It's a hobby. I have literally saved thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$ by NOT making lumber yards, Lowe's, Home Depot and other businesses rich on my dime.
wink.png

I LOVE looking at the beautiful coops here on BYC. One of the threads that I always check out. It is so wonderful to see the beautifully painted coops, with brand new wood used, brand new chicken wire bought and cute pics as decorations inside and outside the coops.

I'm proud of all of the "touters" on BYC. I also tout on my BYC page and website.
wink.png

Being one of the owners of a 100 year old family run chain of lumberyards, I find your comment disheartening.

I believe the comment is just a an attempt to clean up/set some (perceived as necessary) standards, but the lack of empathy struck some nerves.
smile.png
My coop is an obvious coop of poverty, but it is put together to the best of my ability using my recycled materials. Its tacky alright, but really doesn't stand out too much as an eyesore, imo. Its just a structure for chicks in a rural community....My temporary run however was looking pretty junky looking, yet I bought new materials for its quick and unskilled construction. I had placed all sorts of temporary (junky) fixes on that run to make it work, but I began tearing it down today. I guess its really all in presentation. At least I used new tarps and hung the recycled carpet almost straight on my kennel coop and you don't really notice the old glass windows I have also put to use on it shhh
lol.png

I find ALL coops inspiring. Coops built from new materials inspire others to improvise recycled materials. They are all an accomplishment in some form and they all serve a purpose, to make happy, healthy and safe chickens.
clap.gif

Quote:
VERY well said!
thumbsup.gif

I totally agree with turbodog.

I am one of those people that you are talking about and I always will "tout" the fact that I recycle materials. It's what I do. It's a hobby. I have literally saved thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$ by NOT making lumber yards, Lowe's, Home Depot and other businesses rich on my dime.
wink.png

I LOVE looking at the beautiful coops here on BYC. One of the threads that I always check out. It is so wonderful to see the beautifully painted coops, with brand new wood used, brand new chicken wire bought and cute pics as decorations inside and outside the coops.

I'm proud of all of the "touters" on BYC. I also tout on my BYC page and website.
wink.png

Being one of the owners of a 100 year old family run chain of lumberyards, I find your comment disheartening.

Oh well. I'm sure your 100 year old business didn't stay in business by giving away FREE materials to ALL customers. You're a business and you have to stay in business by "selling" to consumers. I'm a consumer and I decide how and where I spend my hard earned money and those places are not on my list when it comes to building supplies. I'm trying to keep "me" in business for 100 years, so this is why I do not buy materials from lumberyards or other material stores.

To each his own. Congrats on 100 years.
clap.gif
I wish you many more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom