Why am I not getting as many eggs as I should be?

This is the only part of your post that concerns me. Perhaps that is part of the reason for the lack of egg production, but the lack of daylight this time of year and what sounds like normal molting also plays a part. I'm a firm believer that chickens should have feed and water available 24/7 even though they don't eat or drink after dark/going to roost
I wanted to have automatic feeders but that attracted raccoons which almost wiped out my first flock. We have made a lot of changes but if there is food left in the run at night there are almost always tracks in the dirt and it’s been cleaned out. We have secured the coop so our ladies, and gentleman, are safe but food is not.

I wanted to have automatic feeders but that attracted raccoons which almost wiped out my first flock. We have made a lot of changes but if there is food left in the run at night there are almost always tracks in the dirt and it’s been cleaned out. We have secured the coop so our ladies, and gentleman, are safe but food is not.
What I'm saying if all of it's eaten how do you know they are full? Pick it up at night but I believe if you are losing feed it's just a matter of time before your birds are in danger from what ever was eating your feed.

How much total light per day are they getting, including supplemental? Is the supplemental on a timer, so amount of light does not vary? Light should be approx 14 hrs per day.

The older hens might be getting ready to molt/are molting, so not laying.

Some breeds seem to need a higher protein than typical layer feed. Layer is often 16% protein, but bumping that up to 18-20% might help. You can use grower pellets and supplement with oyster shell.

Veggie treats are ok, but should not be more than 10% of their daily intake. Currently I would give them more protein rich treats. Some people treat their flock to wet mash of their normal feed. Not fermented, just add water till oatmeal/thick batter consistency.

6 nesting boxes
I honestly think it accidentally got broken so it was eaten but I can’t rule it out. I am home all day so I gather eggs a few times a day now.
I realize people either want or need to sell their eggs. At the risk of rudeness. I will say that chickens are not robot. They don't produce sometimes as we want them to. It's like any other "business". ups and downs. Again I will ask what level of protein are you feeding?

I wouldn't be spreading on the ground any layer feed. It gets scratched in and wasted. (Attracts mice that way too)

Might try switching to a more traditional style feeder so it's easier to move around.

How much total light per day are they getting, including supplemental? Is the supplemental on a timer, so amount of light does not vary? Light should be approx 14 hrs per day.

The older hens might be getting ready to molt/are molting, so not laying.

Some breeds seem to need a higher protein than typical layer feed. Layer is often 16% protein, but bumping that up to 18-20% might help. You can use grower pellets and supplement with oyster shell.

Veggie treats are ok, but should not be more than 10% of their daily intake. Currently I would give them more protein rich treats. Some people treat their flock to wet mash of their normal feed. Not fermented, just add water till oatmeal/thick batter consistency.
I'm feeding 20% I bought it this fall actually in anticipation of a molt. None happened. I've had eggs all winter here in Maine. And winter started in full force in NOV. I would say there might have been 8-10 days without eggs. But only one day at a time. Now that my 2 SLW are laying I doubt I'll be without eggs on any given day.

Back
Top Bottom