Why am I not getting as many eggs as I should be?

hmm... so you are only getting half as many as you did a few weeks ago at a time of year and time of life that production should be increasing not decreasing...

Any changes you can think of between Christmas and now? Different feed, something new in the coop, crazy weather, predator attack, new bird(s) added to the flock, anything?
The only change is the weather is colder.

You have a fairly wide range of ages represented there, how many of the birds argan that younger age bracket? Those that are over it your old would not really be expected to be in full production right now

I have a flock of 27 hens and 1 rooster. They are all old enough to lay but I get on average 9 eggs a day. I know it is winter time and they lay less often in the winter but I keep a light on until about 8pm every night. I am trying to start selling the eggs but production is slow. I found evidence of an egg that had been busted and eaten but only once. So I’m wondering if I maybe have an egg eater or am I doing something wrong diet wise or what. Oh also there has been some feather loss that I believe is from feather picking because I have treated for mites with DE nd see no signs of infestation on the flock. I feed them a layer feed and they get the parts of vegetables that are leftover from meal preps plus I buy them veggies as treats also. There is never feed left. Any input will be greatly appreciated

you might be better off doing the extra light in the morning, less stress on the birds.
I’ve been giving my birds 13.5 hrs. And as it gets lighter they’ll get more.

Last edited:
your 9 month old chickens might not be laying at all. i have seen some delay that long. for many reasons. as others have said, light and protein.

Back
Top Bottom