Why are a few of my girls laying and the rest not?

TvilleTravers

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
I have 11 yard birds... 1 Rock, 2 RIReds, 2 Americanna, 2 Buff,1Sexlink & 2 Delaware oh and a duck. My question is why are only 3 laying eggs?! Up until 2 months ago, I would get 9-11 eggs a day...Is it possible that they self ruled the roost and only brown eggs are allowed? and NO blue eggs? I found them in the yard awhile back were they had sepereted by color...

possibly because if its getting colder and darker where u live since winter is coming, they may not be getting enough daylight to produce eggs daily. hens need about 14 hours of light to do that. Also, depending on how old your hens are, they could be molting....hens that are a year or older will almost always molt their feathers and grow new ones as autumn comes along. they will take a break from laying while this happens.
btw....welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

WOW! yes, the 3 that are still laying are just about 9 months and the other 8 girls are about 2y2m old now... so I am glad to know I will have eggs again... It is an amazing adjustment going from too many to saving up for the weekend breakfasts.

The older birds usually stop laying until spring, the younger ones will lay for you most likely all winter. I have pullets 7 months old, there laying wonderfully, the older girls have stopped. I could kick my self, I gave all my chicks away last month and if I had kept them I would be having eggs from them come February! I will not be this stupid next fall, if my girls go broody, then eggs to sit on they shall have. More RIR's They lay awesome.

Back
Top Bottom