Why are Only 1/3rd of my Hens laying?

JennieLamb

Chirping
Aug 28, 2023
We have roughly 20 hens that are of laying age, but I'm only getting SIX eggs a day. The coop is more than large enough and our run is 40x40. I always have food and water both inside and outside and we have 10 nesting boxes and 8 roosts. Below is a list of breeds and when we got the chicks:
1 Silkie & 1 Sexlink 2/26
10 Buff Orps 3/30
4 Blue Australorps 4/13
4 Buckeyes 4/29
Also my female duck that has been consistency laying eggs everyday has not laid a single egg in the last week! Could my chickens be eating their own eggs? Why? They have plenty of oyster shell and are fed mixed feed suitable for all birds and stages. HELP!

Not all birds lay an egg a day, most lay every other or every 3 days.
Silkies and Orpingtons aren't known for their production.
How old are they? Are they molting? What's their diet?g
March 30th I picked up the chicks so 22+ weeks roughly since our preorder pick up. The silkies are just pets, my daughter wanted "fluffy chickens" 😅 No molting, just a feather lost here n there, got them as dual purpose birds, was told around 200-280 a year per bird. I know blue australorps are hit or miss for egg production they're around 200-250 a year but can get up to 350 if ypur lucky and conditions are right. Ours just hit 20 weeks since pick up (preordered). Weirdly one of my Buckeyes just started laying and they're 2 weeks younger, at 18 weeks since pick up and theyre only good for 150-180 a year. But they were supposed to be cream leg bars I'm pretty disappointed that I'm not going to get my blue eggs like I wanted. Tractor Supply messed up. 😞

Have you had a heat wave or any other stressors, like predator coming by, something changing in the enclosure, etc?
We JUST came off a pretty long NASTY heat wave. Upper 90s up here in eastern PA with heat indexes hitting 105 from mid July til a week ago. About a week ago maybe two weeks ago we had some foxes in our yard that were very very close like one of them was actually probably about 20 ft away from me screaming to another one. It scared the crap out of me enough to go get my stick and my bow.

He's been in there for over 2 months, he keeps to himself mostly. At night he hangs out with the ducks and our silkie rooster and oeanut our sexlink. Our Easter egger rooster that's about a third of his size chases him and he runs away he's actually scared of him and he really likes to hang out with our "party of five" flock. (Two ducks too silkies one black sex link and they were the first five that animals we got and they all cuddle together in a corner and none of them roost....) The turkey chills out with them and stays away from the rest of the flock. They've been with the guineas forever. My chickens have "cliques" lol. Also our run is 40 by 40, or 45 by 45, I can't remember, and the coops about 10x15. I'm guessing my chickens are still too young and some of them are taking a little bit more towards the farther end of normal to mature enough to lay eggs?

So I've had a sneaking suspicion since we have a very very broody silky, I stopped collecting 5 eggs daily as of Monday so it's basically been an entire week. Let's just say that we pushed an extra two eggs towards her at one point and another two meaning she should have only had six I went and checked her today because I've been worried and I've been putting food and water in front of her....... SHE'S UP TO 15 EGGS UNDER HER NOW!!!! THIEF!!!!! TODAY I ONLY FOUND ONE EGG WHY? BECAUSE MY SILKY IS STEALING THEM AND SITTING ON THEM!!!!! So I'm guessing this and age has something to do with this!!!! 🤣 She's literally the smallest hen we have, the eggs are starting to poke out from underneath her! We just found this out today!

March 30th I picked up the chicks so 22+ weeks roughly since our preorder pick up. The silkies are just pets, my daughter wanted "fluffy chickens" 😅 No molting, just a feather lost here n there, got them as dual purpose birds, was told around 200-280 a year per bird. I know blue australorps are hit or miss for egg production they're around 200-250 a year but can get up to 350 if ypur lucky and conditions are right. Ours just hit 20 weeks since pick up (preordered). Weirdly one of my Buckeyes just started laying and they're 2 weeks younger, at 18 weeks since pick up and theyre only good for 150-180 a year. But they were supposed to be cream leg bars I'm pretty disappointed that I'm not going to get my blue eggs like I wanted. Tractor Supply messed up. 😞
It was more likely hoovers...They're well know for wrong paperwork.
Egg Counts are exaggerated, subtract about a third for more realistic numbers.
Are you sure all your birds are laying? 22 weeks is still young for many birds to be laying. Have you done a vent check? Laying vents will be wide and pink, non laying will be tight and yellow.

Back
Top Bottom